kylejmarsh

How can I speed up layout? Seems ridiculous that moving some text WITHIN LAYOUT and not even touching my synced viewports has such an awful lag time. I have a fast computer and the modeling is plenty smooth. I also have used lots of other cad software and even old, clunky dried-up CAD software doesn't have the terrible lag that working in Layout has. 

I've devised ways around it - trying to do everything in my model and nothing or as little as possible in Layout - but this is just bad and seems unnecessary. What is going on within the code when moving text like this takes a few seconds?

Is this common or am I an outlier? I've posted a video of the lag time here - can anybody else corroborate this lag? Is it time for a (nother) computer upgrade, or will even DeepBlue have a similar lag time? Is it some secret setting within chief that is slowing me down like this?

3 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Without getting into computer specifications and plan file size, do you have a bunch of 3D views already sent to layout ?

Sure but they're on other sheets. This sheet only had 5 viewports sent - and they're not 3D views either - just 2d plan views one for the second floor framing, one for the first, and then my sheet notes you can see on the upper right there.

Does it operate much faster on your machine? Can you send a video so I can see if I'm nuts?

7 minutes ago, kylejmarsh said:

Sure but they're on other sheets. This sheet only had 5 viewports sent - and they're not 3D views either - just 2d plan views one for the second floor framing, one for the first, and then my sheet notes you can see on the upper right there

That seems logical but unfortunately the software is not optimized to work that way yet.  Just for fun set all your 3D live views back to Plot Lines while you are working and see if that makes a difference.

This usually works for me but I just did it in my layout that was open and trashed it so will be calling tech support again. :angry:

• Upvote 1

If anybody else gets a chance - can you post videos/screencaptures of working in Layout? I'm interested to see what the lag time is like for everybody else so I can figure out if this is a standard issue or something unique to my setup. Thank you all.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Thank you. And you're running a mac too, so that's helpful. No PDFs on my layout file. But today I started a new layout file for a (much smaller) project and the feedback is almost instantaneous as you say. 

Also who the heck is downvoting me for this? 

The most likely reason that you are experiencing performance problems is because there is something specific in your layout that is causing them.  They could also be related to a problem that is specific to your system or how you have it setup.

Asking someone post a video of how a different layout works on a different system probably won't help.  Asking people to try and guess what might be causing your specific problems is also not a very efficient way to solve this problem.  Someone might get lucky, but I wouldn't count on it.

It would be far more useful if you posted the layout and plan files that you are having problems with to see if someone else wants to check the performance on their system.  This may help you to determine if it is a problem with the layout or with your system.  If you are lucky, one of the more experienced users might actually be able to tell you what it is in your layout that is causing the slow down.

You may also want to consider contacting our technical support team.  If there is something particular in your layout that is causing a performance problem, then they can log a bug report so that the development team can look into it further.  This is the best way to make sure that these kinds of problems get found and fixed.

• Upvote 1

I've been downvoted before for answering a question. LOL

It would be nice if names were attached to both the upvotes and downvotes to see what was going on with those votes...  I know those votes must be important somehow. ;-)

• Like 1