Valley intersection over dormer needs fixed

intendo

The red arrows point to the problem area.

The outside wall and interior wall at the closet intersect with the valley where the two roof planes intersect.

The interior of the room creates an attic wall (with exterior siding) above the closet (NOTE: Ceiling was removed to get image)

The plan view shows where the roof planes intersect at the valley. I have the same problem on the other side of the house because it is symmetrical.

The plan is too large (65MB) but here is the model (https://3d-viewer.chiefarchitect.com/go?share=543146417714334).

Any suggestion on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

LeftRoof.png

SecondStoryLeftFrontBedroom.png

SecondStoryLeftFrontBedroomFloorPlan.png

It seems that the problem that you are seeing can be masked by using a polyline solid, but that is just a chewing gum and bailing wire solution.  There would be a weak spot in the roof structure at the root of the valley and this is the result of the geometry of the intersection of the recessed gable wall and the vaulted space.  Here are some pictures that demonstrate the problem with the actual design.2021-03-01_22-13-14.thumb.jpg.ca6ec021b7c719c4a84ec10fa5c34e0a.jpg2021-03-01_22-06-13.thumb.jpg.873d88629e3e8ecf93e5038984350caa.jpg2021-03-01_22-09-30.thumb.jpg.fbe6995ee9646d3ee9afe64212f04d05.jpg2021-03-01_22-08-09.thumb.jpg.1e45f7d48fbbb3414121a829bf871268.jpg

Thanks @Doug_N . I tried raising the roof of the dormer vertically by 12 inches but it still did not resolve the problem.

I think the problem is that I am off by some fraction of an inch between the different pitches of the main roof and the dormer or with the roof height of one of the roof planes.

I was hoping to find a systematic way of trying to figure out how to resolve the intersection problem so that it would satisfy Chief Architect and model correctly.

I have searched YouTube and Google for troubleshooting dormers but have not found a structural or systematic way to find out how to solve the problem.

Nice find on the Attic wall issue Steve. But that did not fix the soffit issue sticking through the roof. Here is what I found:

https://www.loom.com/share/53a8cfa614474704864a4dc8077e6e82

Chief has come a long way but once in a while we still need to initiate a workaround. 

Thanks

Dan

• Upvote 1

@ChiefExperts

On 3/2/2021 at 1:47 PM, intendo said:

Thanks @Doug_N . I tried raising the roof of the dormer vertically by 12 inches but it still did not resolve the problem.

I think the problem is that I am off by some fraction of an inch between the different pitches of the main roof and the dormer or with the roof height of one of the roof planes.

I was hoping to find a systematic way of trying to figure out how to resolve the intersection problem so that it would satisfy Chief Architect and model correctly.

I have searched YouTube and Google for troubleshooting dormers but have not found a structural or systematic way to find out how to solve the problem.

Dan's solution as a "fix" is fine...as long as you don't change your roof. Being a polyline solid it will never move or change - if you need to make a change to the roof. So...just be sure you are all done with roof design before you go using "solids" as a "fix". 

Also..I'd just put the solid "fix" on the "roof, planes" layer...this way it always appears when your roof is "on"...and, it's typically it's never "locked"...placing something on a Chief layer that is locked by default would just drive me crazy. 

The soffit sticking through has been an issue for a while in Chief...I've got dormer videos I've created where I could not for the life of me fix the soffit sticking through the ceiling plane to go away...happy to see someone at Chief prioritized this as a fix for X13. YEA! :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the help. I will put up with the soffit problem and wait for X13 to fix it.

The client is not really in a hurry so I have some time.

The next problem is trying to put a vaulted ceiling in those 2 rooms. I will work on it some more tomorrow and post an update.

Thanks again!