Too many dimensions

BnCKelley

Can someone please tell me why all these dimensions pop up when I click a wall? It didn't do this originally and I've noticed in other areas it's the same. Anyone know why and how to prevent or fix this? Also, is there a way to control what temporary dimensions will measure to? Thanks

I'm also not getting temporary dimensions when I click on a wall like I would normally get to relocate or move the wall.

20210227_124717.jpg

What does it look like before you click on that wall?  There are three possibilities that come to mind:  (1) You've been dimensioning on quite a few layers and they're all being displayed on top of each other (though clicking on the wall wouldn't affect that), (2), as @joey_martin suggested, you've used the Auto Interior Dimension tool and it has overlapped your manual dimensions, or (3) ... I'll await your reply regarding the appearance of dimensions  before  you click on that wall.

1 hour ago, BnCKelley said:

Can someone please tell me why all these dimensions pop up when I click a wall? It didn't do this originally and I've noticed in other areas it's the same. Anyone know why and how to prevent or fix this? Also, is there a way to control what temporary dimensions will measure to? Thanks

I'm also not getting temporary dimensions when I click on a wall like I would normally get to relocate or move the wall.

20210227_124717.jpg

If you post your plan we can look at and compare the setup of your dimension defaults....

So...post a plan. Thanks!

10 minutes ago, Nicu101268 said:

How to Show/Hide Temporary Dimensions:

Menu Tools->Toolbars and Hotkeys->Customize Toolbars
Now in Search box type Temp
Find Temporary Dimensions, click on it and drag it on your toolbar
Now you can check/uncheck Temporary Dimensions anytime as you wish

PvXaMpj.png

OKj6JzG.png

H0YwvKt.png

You shouldn't need to do that if you have Chief's out of the box Toggle Modes toolbar turned on...

1298765437_ToggleModes.thumb.png.fba64c3512baf00edd5ce57566d53f64.png

• Upvote 2

I am having the same problem with one of my plans as well.

While it is related to temp dim's, the problem is not that they appear, but rather that the number of dimensions that appear is overwhelming and largely useless.

In my case, I click on one interior wall with no features on it, I get nearly 100 different dim's that are completely unrelated.  I get a center dim on a toilet 2 rooms over for example.

Here's what it looks like... Yellow is the selected wall, red stuff is "garbage."

image.thumb.png.97ab3c343e00ddc8b62cccb6f6d185d2.png

In another test plan, I click that and get 5 dim's that locate the adjacent walls - what I expect.

In the test plan, all the temp dim's are "usable", that is to say if I select a wall, the temps that area can each be selected ans edited to determine the wall placement and dimensions.  In the problem plan, most of the temps that appear are not editable.  The toilet center line as my example, is not going to help me dimension the selected wall.

In this example, the yellow is selected, but the red are all relivant and editable.  Note I stuck a door and toilets in to compare if they were dim'ed like they were in the problem file.

image.thumb.png.46210aead079a2bbabd5133c8227d4dc.png

SNestor's file from the original question seems to me to be demonstrating the same issues.  I don't want to turn temps off, they are very usefull in sizing, But if I can't hardly find the correct dim to edit because it's buried under garbage, they do no good.

On 3/6/2021 at 2:58 PM, RookiePete said:

I am having the same problem with one of my plans as well.

While it is related to temp dim's, the problem is not that they appear, but rather that the number of dimensions that appear is overwhelming and largely useless.

In my case, I click on one interior wall with no features on it, I get nearly 100 different dim's that are completely unrelated.  I get a center dim on a toilet 2 rooms over for example.

Here's what it looks like... Yellow is the selected wall, red stuff is "garbage."

image.thumb.png.97ab3c343e00ddc8b62cccb6f6d185d2.png

In another test plan, I click that and get 5 dim's that locate the adjacent walls - what I expect.

In the test plan, all the temp dim's are "usable", that is to say if I select a wall, the temps that area can each be selected ans edited to determine the wall placement and dimensions.  In the problem plan, most of the temps that appear are not editable.  The toilet center line as my example, is not going to help me dimension the selected wall.

In this example, the yellow is selected, but the red are all relivant and editable.  Note I stuck a door and toilets in to compare if they were dim'ed like they were in the problem file.

image.thumb.png.46210aead079a2bbabd5133c8227d4dc.png

SNestor's file from the original question seems to me to be demonstrating the same issues.  I don't want to turn temps off, they are very usefull in sizing, But if I can't hardly find the correct dim to edit because it's buried under garbage, they do no good.

Whether its desirable or not is another story, but the way Chief currently works is that Chief's generic temp dimensions only show up if there are no other dimensions in the plan that are referencing the same thing.  In your particular example you have placed all those other dimensions onto their various layers.  Each dimension string that is being displayed has one segment or another that can indeed be used to resize or relocate the selected wall...

dims.thumb.png.787d8cc3e78c17d0f4f7ebba7f8f0435.png

• 2 months later...

I had the same issue.  "Edit->Delete Objects...", then select "Dimensions, Automatic" under the CAD section.  Now I get just the useful dimensions for the thing I click on.

Kudos to this thread, https://hometalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/3029-suddenly-too-many-dimensions-appear-when-selecting-a-wall/

Yes! I just found this out a few days ago from another tech support call to Chief. I've tried a couple of times before but wasn't really getting anywhere with my answers. A guy named Cameron nailed it in the first 20 seconds of the call and that was what he said to do. Thank you for reaching out CodeKata. I'd forgot about posting it on the forum. When did you figure this out and did you just search topics for solvers answer?

10 minutes ago, BnCKelley said:

I just found this out a few days ago from another tech support call to Chief. I've tried a couple of times before but wasn't really getting anywhere with my answers.

Had you read and perhaps responded to Kevin's post in this thread, you would have had your answer a long time ago. 

• 6 months later...
On 2/27/2021 at 2:45 PM, Alaskan_Son said:

You shouldn't need to do that if you have Chief's out of the box Toggle Modes toolbar turned on...

I did not realize that changing those snaps has an effect on the temp dimensions. I turn them off usually but that's becaune I find them too busy - this may be a solution. Thanks