Exterior Stairs

BeachHouse1

This actual photo shows a basic exterior stairway configuration.

If Open Riser is selected there is no underside skin on the stairs.  If Open Riser is not selected an underside skin is displayed. I tried a work around of making the skin material glass.  From the back side of the stairs no riser is displayed, from the front the riser is displayed.   

Any ideas?

Thanks

IMG_20201204_105951.jpg

2021-02-27 (1).png.jpg

2021-02-27.png.jpg

24 minutes ago, BeachHouse1 said:

Any ideas?

In a camera view, use the delete surface tool to remove the underside. Then, convert the stairs to a symbol and place in the exact same location as the stairs. Use the layer display settings to turn off the real stairs and show the new stair symbol. Use these settings for affected 3d views only. In plan views, turn the symbol off and keep the stairs on.

Or manually draw and place a riser surface. It's not as hard as it may seem. Draw one, at the bottom and get it right. Then using the information from the stair dialog box, replicate this riser the correct amount (in x or y and z axis) and the correct # of times using the absolute location setting. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, robdyck said:

In a camera view, use the delete surface tool to remove the underside. Then, convert the stairs to a symbol and place in the exact same location as the stairs. Use the layer display settings to turn off the real stairs and show the new stair symbol. Use these settings for affected 3d views only. In plan views, turn the symbol off and keep the stairs on.

Or manually draw and place a riser surface. It's not as hard as it may seem. Draw one, at the bottom and get it right. Then using the information from the stair dialog box, replicate this riser the correct amount (in x or y and z axis) and the correct # of times using the absolute location setting. 

Thanks, I had  actually been  thinking about experimenting with the second option. Although the first option sounds good because you have to do something similar when displaying exterior stairs in multi floor designs.

Gonna give it a try.  I/m making a series of videos on Beach Houses.  I'm going to include your solution in the stair portion.  I'll give you a credit and send you a link.

Thanks again.