nVisionTEKBIM

Deck Rim Joist Issue

Is it possible in Chief to set the type of rim joist to use for a deck? The auto framing generates the deck rim joists as engineered rim joists since that's what I have setup for the floor framing rim joists. I have to manually edit the deck rim joists to be 1-1/2" wide P.T. lumber. It's time consuming to fix this every time.

8 minutes ago, nVisionTEKBIM said:

Is it possible in Chief to set the type of rim joist to use for a deck? The auto framing generates the deck rim joists as engineered rim joists since that's what I have setup for the floor framing rim joists. I have to manually edit the deck rim joists to be 1-1/2" wide P.T. lumber. It's time consuming to fix this every time.

The material used for decks is defined in the "deck room" in defaults.  See attached pic.

2021-02-26_11-26-16.thumb.png.5f6b4dcf7a55d5a60284fa2a12094aa2.png

It is an annoying bug and a suggestion has been made to Chief to separate rim joist spec of decks from that for the the house structure floor.  For now we gotta live with it, and living with it means an annoying session of editing.  Every 1-1/8 rim in engineered lumber has to be changed to 1-1/2 treated lumber, which means then doing all the trimming and repositioning to get things right.  Yuk!

I had to do all that to the dozens of rims in a job just yesterday!  See attached.

When editing, I find it best to select the EDGE of the rim you want to move, and change the 1-1/8 to 1-1/2, then opening spec to change lumber, going from rim to rim to do all the needed edits, then adjusting end trims as required throughout.  Selecting the rim and changing its thickness in spec repositions BOTH edges, which then calls for a tedious repositioning of the rim. 

2021-02-26 11_55_59-Chief Architect Premier X12.png

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

It is an annoying bug and a suggestion has been made to Chief to separate rim joist spec of decks from that for the the house structure floor.  For now we gotta live with it, and living with it means an annoying session of editing.  Every 1-1/8 rim in engineered lumber has to be changed to 1-1/2 treated lumber, which means then doing all the trimming and repositioning to get things right.  Yuk!

I had to do all that to the dozens of rims in a job just yesterday!  See attached.

When editing, I find it best to select the EDGE of the rim you want to move, and change the 1-1/8 to 1-1/2, then opening spec to change lumber, going from rim to rim to do all the needed edits, then adjusting end trims as required throughout.  Selecting the rim and changing its thickness in spec repositions BOTH edges, which then calls for a tedious repositioning of the rim. 

2021-02-26 11_55_59-Chief Architect Premier X12.png

Yes, it's very annoying. I'm surprised there isn't a fix to this already. I'd like to have the option of selecting the types of rim joists for not only decks, but for at stair wells and other floor openings. 

• Like 1

What you do is build all deck framing before building floor framing, with the floor framing specs set to yield 2x lumber rims.  Then lock all decks from reframing.

Before framing house floors, reset specs.

Problem is remembering to do it in this sequence.

Edit:  I was wrong about sequence.  All you really have to do is remember this about deck rims, and go into framing defaults and do the rim spec how you want for the decks before framing them.  So you can do deck framing after floors.

Maybe what Chief ought to have is a warning before you autoframe decks, saying "hey, what about those rims!"

• Upvote 1