I can't seem to ditch the ceiling cover in the basement

bdillard

5 minutes ago, bdillard said:

Hello,

I'm thinking about building out the floor joists / truss system for the basement that goes under the 1st floor for support.   I can't seem to get rid of the ceiling though.   I'm sure it is obvious but it eludes me.

Capture1.thumb.PNG.c990da626e84f824108731f479cf88c2.PNGimage.thumb.png.e49ca534e2418a720b2233985ad894eb.png

Delete your ceiling finish

• Like 1

Just FYI because its somewhat related and may be the reason you got where you are, you can get this behavior with Automatic Foundations as well.  From the Help files...

Basement Rooms

When a foundation’s type is Walls with Footings or Grade Beams on Piers, and it is assigned a Minimum Wall Height of 76” (1900 mm) or greater, the resulting basement is automatically created with a 4” (100 mm) concrete slab floor. and a default Floor Finish like that on Floor 1.

Similarly, if a foundation is set up to have a Basement Ceiling Height of 72” (1800 mm) or greater when built, it is automatically given a painted drywall Ceiling Finish. See Foundation Panel.

Regardless of its ceiling height, however, you can specify a floor or ceiling finish for any room in the Room Specification dialog. See Structure Panel.

47 minutes ago, rgardner said:

Delete your ceiling finish

Thanks - when I go to structure and set ceiling for 0, it changes a bunch of things, When I go to materials and click on it as a component, I do not know how to delete it.   Can you spoon feed me a bit more?   Sorry, I'm still working my way around. 

Solver - thanks!

Sorry for the picture - couldn't get rid of it.   I was trying to figure out these wall extensions but realized I needed to cut wall at floor /roof.

Is there any practice for designating floor space for stairwells - hallway?

image.thumb.png.ce3c97505e9d2e0094342a8f85891351.png

2 hours ago, bdillard said:

Solver - thanks!

Sorry for the picture - couldn't get rid of it.   I was trying to figure out these wall extensions but realized I needed to cut wall at floor /roof.

Is there any practice for designating floor space for stairwells - hallway?

image.thumb.png.ce3c97505e9d2e0094342a8f85891351.png

Open below.

btw that is just showing drywall on the side of the joists that you are not showing in that picture.

• Like 1

Thanks - for some reason when I say cut off at roof for the 3 interior wallls surrounding my stairwell, 2 show up fine but the third is invisible.    I even tried deleting it and copying over the parallel wall but the same issue occurs.  The wall shows fine if I don't cut it off at the roof (so I don't have the large sheet rock partition below the kitchen floor in the stairwell to the basement.

I created a new wall, removed the stairwell and made the new wall a foot to the right so nothing is possibly touching it and it still disappears if you have roof cut at wall bottom.

image.thumb.png.aba72ad66f7513fdc2c68f23020c6ff7.png

8 hours ago, bdillard said:

Thanks - for some reason when I say cut off at roof for the 3 interior wallls surrounding my stairwell, 2 show up fine but the third is invisible.    I even tried deleting it and copying over the parallel wall but the same issue occurs.  The wall shows fine if I don't cut it off at the roof (so I don't have the large sheet rock partition below the kitchen floor in the stairwell to the basement.

I created a new wall, removed the stairwell and made the new wall a foot to the right so nothing is possibly touching it and it still disappears if you have roof cut at wall bottom.

image.thumb.png.aba72ad66f7513fdc2c68f23020c6ff7.png

Sorry you have totally lost me at least with your description.  I would say reattach your plan file.

Sorry - hard to tell due to the lack of colors on the walls but the right hand wall is visible in the picture (your right hand from the point of view in the picture - as in if you were walking up the stairs your right hand would be on the side with the visible wall).   The left hand wall is invisible - I drew a line where you can see the stud instead of the wall and a circle that if I swing the camera around towards views into the kitchen instead of a wall.    

Is reattaching the file a function of Chief or would you like me to upload my plan?   

Either way - everyone has really helped me here and I really want to thank everyone.   I started with Chief for the sake of just seeing how many square feet I would need, not really worrying about if I would keep the layout.   Then as I got playing with it, I just started having fun.   I admit what I'm doing is like bringing someone who does glitter and macaroni "art" to an art exhibit compared to you guys but I'm having fun learning the very basics of this program and truly appreciate the help everyone is providing.