Best practices for as-built covered porches?

PMMully

Looking for the best practice to build porches with flat roofs that are attached to a dwelling on 1-3 sides, have headers under the roof on any sides that are not attached to the dwelling. The headers can be LVL or concrete precast, supported by columns that could be 4x4 or larger, solid pour, or filled cell CMU, etc.

In this snapshot below, I make two CMU stem walls with a monolithic foundation and made the room type a porch. All is well, except for the fact I can not seem to control how many newells/posts there are, or the spacing. The second thing I any roof generation seems to be pretty limited. Note I have the gutter removed off the tile roof on the one side facing the porch.

What I have done in the past was created a slab or patio, did a custom roof plane, and added a framing joist as the header, and posts manually. I am asking if there is a better way to take what I have below, gain control of the number of posts and positions, and generate a flat roof in one shot? Or, what would be the best practice overall? I have been looking through the training videos but nothing is jumping out at me.

image.thumb.png.0d6376468912242504e2591ca4353e39.png

@snestor  I should have also specified that I used a railing wall, post to beam as well, and it had the exact same result. I went back to the railing version. I see the newel spacing now, great tip. I was able to eliminate a few due to spacing and remove the other center one on the short side by setting the spacing longer than the length of the wall.

So that part is solved, and the issue now is I need to show an existing flat asphalt roof with those headers. I have been playing with roof settings but can not seem to get what I want just yet (flat roof attached to headers with hangers). I will look up your videos.

I will look at your screen room library though!

2 hours ago, SNestor said:
1 hour ago, SNestor said:

@PMMully - use a railing wall. Post to beam...

You can set the newel spacing in the DBX...or, you can place breaks in the wall and place newels exactly where you want them

2021-02-25_14-07-06.thumb.png.81b474f08c04c75c89693ec52c7d0f07.png2021-02-25_14-26-12.thumb.png.ddf16c5ddfcf8757897abbe21caa2443.png

@PMMully - instead of trying to fuss with a "roof"...build a new blank floor (if this is a one story home) and build a "balcony room" with invisible walls. You can then open the room and adjust the floor size/type...and the floor finish could be "asphalt" roofing. It won't have a pitch..so that may not work for you.  

2021-02-25_16-45-09.thumb.png.1a71ef2f536eb4fe82de4175a2c1dc57.png

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, SNestor said:

@PMMully - instead of trying to fuss with a "roof"...build a new blank floor (if this is a one story home) and build a "balcony room" with invisible walls. You can then open the room and adjust the floor size/type...and the floor finish could be "asphalt" roofing. It won't have a pitch..so that may not work for you.  

2021-02-25_16-45-09.thumb.png.1a71ef2f536eb4fe82de4175a2c1dc57.png

@snestor  

This plan is a complicated two-story. The picture I submitted is a simplified version for the forum and just learn the details of the process. In this case, the posts must be placed exactly as they are on the house. And the roof must show a pitch. This drawing will go through PE engineering for permitting. We are essentially going to modify the headers over the SGDs in my diagram as the SGD will be coming out in favor of one long one that double the length. The current flat wood/asphalt roof will be removed and replace with ledgers on the new headers, etc. Do the drawing must be tight-tight in order for the PE to sign off. The technique you describe would be perfect for conceptual discussions.

@SNestor I fully understand and you can bet I learned from you today :-)  I took your inputs which allowed me to figure out the spacing, etc. This is pretty close to reality... I generated a flat roof, then put a custom roof plane on it to get what I want. Not sure why I can not get the header to stay connected to the inside of the outside wall.

image.thumb.png.1c4cade812b9ab980873757501c1df73.png