Wing wall strategies in X12

gregor43

I suppose that is what I have seen them called...I am currently trying to create construction documents based on a design/development set...I am pretty familiar with Chief and am using X12...I am asking for some recommendations regarding designing/drawing these features in the software

Per the image below, the design calls for some of the exterior walls at corner intersections to extend beyond the intersection (10.5" to include the trim board facing at the end of the wall), creating what has been termed as a "wing wall"...if there is another technical term, I don't know or can't find it...this wall starts at the foundation and extends up to and attaches to the gable end of the roof...this will create an aesthetic for the overall design style, but I don't know if it is structurally purposeful according to the engineering since the majority of the roof is supported by load bearing walls on the eave sides...aesthetically they will provide a means for the gable wall end of the roof to extend out from the residence (NOTE: the intent is to contrast against the majority of the rest of the residence which have no overhangs on the eave sides (giving that sort of Norwegian style modernism...see image)...this condition occurs a few times on a few different exterior walls creating additional gable wall overhangs...

DDwingwallcondition.thumb.PNG.8e0578018dfe27fce1aeab63b8b7ae37.PNG

Here is the 3D rendering of this part of this floor plan...and and a real world image of this kind of condition...to note, while the condition in the plan snip above is minimal

I do have a part of the design that has a gable end more like the "house in the snow" image below...so I will be trying to solve that condition as well...

DDwingwallcondition3Drender.thumb.PNG.4c82969a55a2ce3387f603985262ef39.PNG     wingwallsstyle.thumb.jpg.5704134a7ad6ed22daa4184df041e5b5.jpg

I have thought to draw these one of a couple of ways:

1. Extending the original exterior wall from the intersection, breaking the wall, then creating a new wall type with siding on both sides, so that it is just a single wall...however the original exterior wall has continuous insulation (Wall type: Siding/furring/WRB/Rigid Ins/OSB/Stud/drywall) and I am wondering how to contend with that at the break because the continuous insulation and furring will not be needed for the wing wall because it isn't part of the overall building envelope...I am assuming there needs to be an attachment point for the wing wall (lumber to lumber) and that will result in thermal bridging at those points in the house, where it cuts through the rigid insulation, but will it be enough to be concerned about?? (another topic for another time)...lets just say we don't worry about the insulation issue and attach the wing wall 2X to the original exterior wall 2X (eliminating the Rigid Ins and furring)...this way, we end up with the wing wall (Type: siding/WRB/OSB/stud/OSB/WRB/siding)...I haven't attempted this, so I don't know how X12 treats the vertical facing end of the wing wall...does it leave it as a stud with no material???...The design calls for an 8" trim board on the end of the wing wall (like a cap piece, but on the vertical end of the wall...see image)...
  2. In the same manner, (I had seen in a video tutorial on this Chief Forum) extending the exterior wall from the intersection, then adding a wall at the perpendicular then adding another wall at a 180 extending back to the original exterior wall...this makes a U shape...The "U" is then broken from the original exterior wall...I then create a new wall type (Type: siding/WRB/OSB/stud) and change the 3 wall section to that type...I then change/adjust the stud width on this wall type so that when the walls are placed back to back, they achieve 6-7" width...enough to accommodate the 8" trim board that will overlap (cap) the adjacent walls and siding...I have attempted this and I can get everything placed correctly without too much hassle...where it becomes a hassle is eventually having to go into the Edit Wall Layer Intersections tool and manually change the intersection points because X12 doesn't do it correctly when it autobuilds (or maybe I just don't have the right settings in place)...since there are so many intersection points due to the many wall material layers, it is a pain to finally figure out what combinations work...moving certain points move other points until you find the right combinations...for some of the wing walls it is near impossible to get the correct intersections, but it is minor...I don't know why, since they at least 4 of the wing walls share identical conditions

Another issue is when I autobuild the foundation (monolith slab) it wreaks havoc at these locations, drawing out strange blocks (again, assuming X12 just can't figure them out in autobuild)...I am assuming that the foundation exists below these walls, they share the same trench depth as the main foundation but will have a smaller beam width (of the back to back sill plates)...I haven't figured out what views would be easiest to modify these autobuild foundation anomalies or the best way to go about it...and even when I figure out the solution, I am sure I will have issues when it comes to the roof and soffit (or maybe not)...

So I guess my question is:

1. What is the best strategy in X12 for building this kind of wing wall/extension based on the floor plan design and desired design effect, including how to handle foundation and roof over/under these areas?...or do I just wing it and notate the concept for the builder???...the perspective renderings are OK, they just show some of these small anomalies and since I am kind of a perfectionist, I want to fix them...

If you took the time to read through my tome...I appreciate it and would welcome any feedback! Thanks!

Greg