Color and material eye dropper problem

DH7777

Can any tell me what I must have turned off or on that changes how my "material eyedropper"  And   "Adjust material Definition" tool? For example, I used to be able to pick a wood grain material or a roofing material from Core, bonus, or Manufacture catalogs, and if I wanted to change the color ONLY to that material I could for instance go to Sherwin Williams folder or Minwax folder and just pick a color and eyedrop it onto my material ( in full camera mode).  I wish to change Only the color and it would do so without removing the shingles or wood grain material I have chosen. Now it completely removes and relaces the material altogether with a solid color. Frustrating and I do not know what setting I have changed. Because I used to be able to change material color at any time while in Full Camera mode and Only the color would change, not replace the material. Please help this has massively limited my ability to customize material colors. Thanks

Just now, DavidJPotter said:

Sounds like to me you are replacing the material, one with another instead of using a color to "Blend with Material" on the "Texture Tab" of the "Define Material Dialog", you must be doing something else.

DJP

I must be doing that. But I never had to "blend" anything before last week. I could literally just take a color and eyedrop it onto... let's say a marble countertop and I eyedrop pink color onto it in Full Camera screen and it would remain a marble countertop but turn pink. easy as pie

I have never done what you describe either but I am the one with "No Problem" and you are, perhaps you have been, in the past just lucky. I have never used the eyedropper to blend materials using the "Paint Roller" icon because it was very hit and miss as to results. You are welcome to disagree and do as you wish.

DJP

30 minutes ago, DavidJPotter said:

I have never done what you describe either but I am the one with "No Problem" and you are, perhaps you have been, in the past just lucky. I have never used the eyedropper to blend materials using the "Paint Roller" icon because it was very hit and miss as to results. You are welcome to disagree and do as you wish.

DJP

Yeah, so I have Chief on both my PC and my Laptop. I just checked my PC and no problems. Does exactly what I always did. If I open the same project up on my laptop...Problem!

The reason I did not use the material blend option by default is that it will not let me use any color I want only basic colors from a color chart/wheel. If I want a specific color let's say from Behr Paints in the Manufacturer folder, I can't.  Is there any other place to mess with material blend without using the Adjust Material Definition tool? Attached are the only options it seems Material Blend offers me to choose from. This is not what I want to see. Again, works the way I want on my PC. Used to work the way I wanted on my laptop last week but does not now. That is why I thought I might have turned off a setting. Weird   Also attached are two examples of using the eyedropper tool only from my Laptop and PC.

Blend.JPG

PC.JPG

laptop.JPG

Edited by DH7777
Wanted to add more information

1 hour ago, DH7777 said:

Can any tell me what I must have turned off or on that changes how my "material eyedropper"  And   "Adjust material Definition" tool? For example, I used to be able to pick a wood grain material or a roofing material from Core, bonus, or Manufacture catalogs, and if I wanted to change the color ONLY to that material I could for instance go to Sherwin Williams folder or Minwax folder and just pick a color and eyedrop it onto my material ( in full camera mode).  I wish to change Only the color and it would do so without removing the shingles or wood grain material I have chosen. Now it completely removes and relaces the material altogether with a solid color. Frustrating and I do not know what setting I have changed. Because I used to be able to change material color at any time while in Full Camera mode and Only the color would change, not replace the material. Please help this has massively limited my ability to customize material colors. Thanks

This is so weird.  I was just experiencing this issue.  I was not able to change the COLOR of. material using the RAINBOW TOOL.  This was going on for about a week or two and suddenly this morning it is working again.  I am on a MAC.

1 minute ago, dshall said:

This is so weird.  I was just experiencing this issue.  I was not able to change the COLOR of. material using the RAINBOW TOOL.  This was going on for about a week or two and suddenly this morning it is working again.  I am on a MAC.

Well I've heard once you go MAC you never go Back! I have never made the jump LOL! What exactly is the RAINBOW TOOL again?

Just now, DH7777 said:

.... What exactly is the RAINBOW TOOL again?

ADJUST MATERIAL DEFINITION.

BTW,  I may not of read your post correctly.....  is there the roller at the bottom of the screen that is either clicked on or off?

This might be two different issues.  I could not change the color.  You might be using the MATERIAL EYEDROPPER, you are changing color and the pattern/texture.

try the ADJUST MATERIAL DEFINITION (rainbow tool)

Just now, dshall said:

ADJUST MATERIAL DEFINITION.

BTW,  I may not of read your post correctly.....  is there the roller at the bottom of the screen that is either clicked on or off?

This might be two different issues.  I could not change the color.  You might be using the MATERIAL EYEDROPPER, you are changing color and the pattern/texture.

try the ADJUST MATERIAL DEFINITION (rainbow tool)

Oh yeah, I do use the Adjust Material Def tool. And it is part of my problem. I want more options on blending a color to an existing texture. This was not a problem until last week on my laptop. Like, if I eyedrop a specific color onto my "James Hardy Siding"...it deletes the siding and makes my exterior wall that solid color "siding is gone".  This is a change on my laptop and I can't figure out what is going on. (does not do this on my PC version which both are current versions) I would encourage you to read this thread in full because it explains in more detail my issue. I find it strange that no one has ever just eye dropped colors to textures before without utilizing Adjust Material Definition tool. It worked amazingly with ease and I could change ANY texture color at ANY time with the eyedrop tool with ANY color from ANY folder in my library browser. 

PROBLEM SOLVED...I seemed to have figured out what is going on! :)

I needed to toggle blend/replace at the bottom left corner of the screen by checking the box. Somehow it got unchecked.

So as long as this is checked you can use any color from any folder in your library browser (even stains from Minwax) to any texture and it will ONLY change the color to that texture! 

This is way better in my opinion than using the blend feature in the  Adjust Material Definition dialog box. Your options are unlimited for colors.

fixed.JPG

Glad you figured it out. Changing colors/textures can be challenging, especially when two computers handle it differently.

But I wanted to mention, one possible alternative method to getting a manufacturer library color into a texture using Define Material dialog... see the eyedropper in the lower left of your Select Color table? Have the color you want visible in your library, and use that to grab it.

Caveat: At least on my system, that eyedropper color selector can produce a slight color shift.

4 hours ago, DH7777 said:

Blend.JPG

1 minute ago, Chrisb222 said:

Glad you figured it out. Changing colors/textures can be challenging, especially when two computers handle it differently.

But I wanted to mention, one possible alternative method to getting a manufacturer library color into a texture using Define Material dialog... see the eyedropper in the lower left of your Select Color table? Have the color you want visible in your library, and use that to grab it.

Caveat: At least on my system, that eyedropper color selector can produce a slight color shift.

Ok great idea Thanks

• 2 years later...