Please help, I'm failing trying to create the correct exterior wall

bdillard

Hello,

I'm getting some great help here.   I'm at the point I'm learning for the sake of learning as I find this interesting.    I'm trying to create the correct external wall structure which (in my case) would be fiberboard siding over a rain-screen, over house wrap over Zip-R9 with 2x6 (T-Stud or LVL) at 24 OC with 2" of closed cell with 4" of rock wool and possibly some poly before the sheetrock.    I watched a video on it and don't seem to be getting it right.  I can't find rain screen (may go by another name e.g. lap bands or something else.) and haven't found the T-stud or LVL or styro or poly sheeting.

Don't beat yourself up trying to help if this is too hard to explain to a newbie, I'm just curious.

Capture.PNG

Thanks!  I'm working on it - do I specify here that I want closed cell and rockwool on the interior?  I'm wondering how I specify I want it between the framing timber.

Capture.PNG

If I go to the main layer and add anything it increases the thickness of the wall but I want it between the framing.   I'm sure the answer is in front of me but I don't see it.

I'm not sure if I should do this but I think this is close.   I'm just manually typing these into the default.  I'm not sure how to put in the measurement for closed cell spray insulation.

Capture1.PNG

Capture1.PNG

Unfortunately even after I make those changes, when you click on an exterior wall of the same type it doesn't show those components.

On 2/24/2021 at 2:10 AM, bdillard said:

Hello,

I'm getting some great help here.   I'm at the point I'm learning for the sake of learning as I find this interesting.    I'm trying to create the correct external wall structure which (in my case) would be fiberboard siding over a rain-screen, over house wrap over Zip-R9 with 2x6 (T-Stud or LVL) at 24 OC with 2" of closed cell with 4" of rock wool and possibly some poly before the sheetrock.    I watched a video on it and don't seem to be getting it right.  I can't find rain screen (may go by another name e.g. lap bands or something else.) and haven't found the T-stud or LVL or styro or poly sheeting.

Don't beat yourself up trying to help if this is too hard to explain to a newbie, I'm just curious.

Capture.PNG

I don't think you'll get exactly what you want from Chief...but you can get close: See attached pics...hope they give you some idea on how you could create a wall type that is close to what you want.

2021-02-25_10-30-16.thumb.png.65cf7c36072e9d0222d2f418edf3f502.png2021-02-25_10-29-50.thumb.png.721833c0f102ed6032293a9237dba232.png2021-02-25_10-26-08.thumb.png.383af6dee3d0c1f1701fb7d5edf022de.png2021-02-25_10-26-24.thumb.png.eed0898fed82a03e52f96caf90c3f0df.png

• Like 1

You may need to create custom materials if the ones you want aren't in the library. (ie the T-Stud or Rockwool)

Steve has you covered on the strapping. Sometimes I just use "Opening (No Material)" for a rainscreen

I simulate Zip-R with the OSB material and the Insulation Foam material.

• Like 1