open gable porch roof

DianeP

I need some ideas on how to accomplish this from someone that has more expertise than I do. I've always draw them with a beam going across at the bottom supported by the columns.   Also, what is the correct wording for this type of roof, if anyone knows.  

image.thumb.png.06d9f2c120928337e62d9578fd884e12.png

29 minutes ago, DianeP said:

I need some ideas on how to accomplish this from someone that has more expertise than I do. I've always draw them with a beam going across at the bottom supported by the columns.   Also, what is the correct wording for this type of roof, if anyone knows.  

image.thumb.png.06d9f2c120928337e62d9578fd884e12.png

It's just a gable roof with a vaulted ceiling pitched to match the roof. In that example, it would appear as though enough roof structure depth has been left so that sloping-flat roof trusses can be used for the roof structure. You can set that depth for those 2 roof planes, or you can use ceiling planes. Either way, you'll want an exterior room with NO flat ceiling.

That example would be easily modeled with a p-solid and some 3d molding polylines for the battens. All easily drawn in a section or elevation view.

• Upvote 2

Just now, solver said:

Accomplish what?

Sorry I wasn't clear.  The gable that is on the front porch that is open with columns underneath the sides.  is it something I can use a roofing tool to do or do I have to draw a shape  get the thick vault.  How do I get it to be open in the gable area, 

46 minutes ago, joey_martin said:

You will need an invisible wall separating the porch so that you can have no ceiling checked in that section yet have a ceiling on the other section. From there, either use framing members or polysolids to create the "ceiling" surface.

48 minutes ago, robdyck said:

It's just a gable roof with a vaulted ceiling pitched to match the roof. In that example, it would appear as though enough roof structure depth has been left so that sloping-flat roof trusses can be used for the roof structure. You can set that depth for those 2 roof planes, or you can use ceiling planes. Either way, you'll want an exterior room with NO flat ceiling.

That example would be easily modeled with a p-solid and some 3d molding polylines for the battens. All easily drawn in a section or elevation view.

I used both of your suggestions to get me going.  I tried to do it with ceiling surface making it 10" thick but  it didn't hug the roof eve and it didn't have the "legs" showing on the inspiration picture.   I will try my hand and modeling it with a polysolid..  image.thumb.png.fd63478cb60ad9f27dc33e04b5381a3a.png 

image.png

2 minutes ago, DianeP said:

I will try my hand and modeling it with a polysolid..

Take a backclipped section view through that roof, looking at the front door. Plop the p-solid onto the wall with the front door, then break as needed and snap the corners to the cross section lines of the entry roof. Then apply your material and, in plan view, stretch it out to the gable end.

• Upvote 1

I think this is close enough.  Thanks for the help!!!!  On side note ( I may put this under its own topic) are there any doors that you can design that have the panel at the bottom adjustable and the glass allowed to have lites.  I have to make this door have 6 lites but it won't allow the lite adjustments.  

image.thumb.png.daf88b2972161a93958158e1861db2e3.png

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DianeP said:

I have to make this door have 6 lites but it won't allow the lite adjustments.

When my clients want custom items like that, I just quickly draw them in using p-solids or 3d moldings. Often faster than searching the library, seeing as you were already in the right view and using the right tools;). I place them on a trim layer that displays in 3D views and my working set only.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, robdyck said:

When my clients want custom items like that, I just quickly draw them in using p-solids or 3d moldings. Often faster than searching the library, seeing as you were already in the right view and using the right tools;). I place them on a trim layer that displays in 3D views and my working set only.

Great idea!!! I will use that next time.  Thanks!