Can I designate an area as the garage?

bdillard

Hello,

I noticed Chief calculates my living area based on the full size of the house including the garage initially.  I could always calculate the size of the garage and remove it from that number but I was wondering if it was possible to enable that within Chief Architect?

A Garage room should be set by default to be "Exclude from Total Living Area Calculation" as well as "Unconditioned" so as soon as you assign the Garage Room type to a room it should be removed from the Total Living Area Calculation automatically.

Is that not what you are experiencing ?

• Upvote 1

The living area calculated result seems to be hard coded to be a slightly smaller font and they will change in size proportionally when you make an adjustment but it seems you maybe want the two to be the same font size ?

If so try this:

image.thumb.png.48d7b12e90f7cb6c26cd83b64a748431.png

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bdillard said:

I figured out how to adjust the size of the "living area" font - however I can't seem to figure out how to increase the size of the actual calculated living area number - is this possible?

Make a copy of any room label and paste this into the text dialog box: FLOOR AREA = %living.area%   Place it wherever you'd like

Copy and paste in place for each floor. Now turn off Chief's living area display in Plan Defaults.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, bdillard said:

I'll be honest - I just spent 10 minutes googling room size specification in chief architect - I found tons of items on how to modify things IN it but not how to get to it.   The closest I could find was go to general - I can't find general either.

Is there a question in there?

Robdyck, thanks! I found it right after I posted it.   I appreciate all the help people like you and Chopsaw provide newbies like me!

DOOH - I thought I had it but even if I change the text to 10" -it goes back to 6" right after I close it.

Capture.PNG

How do I fix what I did wrong?

• Like 1

This may seem like small potatoes in the grand scheme of things but it has been very helpful to me as I'm trying to get the size of the house down.   I'm not sure if it is possible; the living area has to be calculated.   In my case it is base on a contiguous rectangle - is it possible to show the calculation by which it achieved that number?

1 hour ago, bdillard said:

This may seem like small potatoes in the grand scheme of things but it has been very helpful to me as I'm trying to get the size of the house down.   I'm not sure if it is possible; the living area has to be calculated.   In my case it is base on a contiguous rectangle - is it possible to show the calculation by which it achieved that number?

Click just outside your exterior wall. If you select a wall first, then hit the Tab key or click the Select Next tool until you see "Exterior Room" down on the lower left hand corner of your screen.  When you have the Exterior Room selected, click on the Make Living Area Polyline in your Edit toolbar.  This will create an independent polyline shaped to  show you the exact area being used for the calculation.   

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1