M1 Mac, it does work

VRNicastro

@Ryan-M Thanks so much!  A very cogent, detailed, and helpful answer.   I wondered if there might be other libraries besides Qt that were bottlenecks.  I'm really glad to hear it's continuing to be worked through.   The lack of hardware-ray-trace support even in the M1 MAX GPU is a good point, and I hadn't considered that feature was so much of what people are asking about when they ask for M1 support.

My experience is that the performance of Chief Architect is quite reasonable under Rosetta 2 on M1 MacBook Air, and with no fan!  I expect the M1 Pro/Max to be even better, and once a native arm64 build arrives, it bet it will an exceptionally responsive platform for general use of Chief Architect, even if hardware-ray-tracing won't be supported.

On 2/21/2021 at 3:32 AM, VRNicastro said:

the lack of a dedicated graphics

You mean discreet graphics? The chip has an 8 core graphics processor which benchmarks comparable with an rx550 or gtx1650. The top Max chip will bring you to about the same as a vega56/rtx2080. Source

It's been interesting to watch Apple usher in this new hardware platform and try to determine who their market audience is. I've watched numerous YouTube reviews of the M1 and the new processors, and the best I can tell it seems Apple thinks everyone is a YouTuber looking to edit videos. While I'm sure Apple's new hardware will benefit people in a lot of areas, this seems to be their market audience of "pros".

• 3 months later...

Ryan,

I'm a long time ChAr user on imacs. Just to confirm, if I buy a new mac and upgrade to ChAr 13, I will have no ray tracing at all?

No one can predict Apple's moves on new mac video hardware, but sometimes rumors are heard. Could you offer a best-guess, if any, as to when ChAr will do real time ray trace on a mac (real time or at all)?

Kurt Mueller

22 minutes ago, NewVistaDev said:

Ryan,

I'm a long time ChAr user on imacs. Just to confirm, if I buy a new mac and upgrade to ChAr 13, I will have no ray tracing at all?

No one can predict Apple's moves on new mac video hardware, but sometimes rumors are heard. Could you offer a best-guess, if any, as to when ChAr will do real time ray trace on a mac (real time or at all)?

Kurt Mueller

Just to clarify:

With a mac you still have CPU ray tracing just like it has had for every version since it came out.  You will not be able to take advantage of the NEW IN X13 Real Time Ray Trace feature at this point although with the new AMD chip for the mbPro MAX chipsets the technology is available but chief has not developed that portion of x13 yet.  

• Upvote 1

I know this might be hard for some to answer, but in general, with realtime ratracing aside (which I don't use becuase I can't afford the bleeding edge of graphics cards),  what's CA better on   Mac or PC?  I'm just curious since I'm looking for a laptop.  I want a capable laptop that's doesn't end up sounding like a jet engine while working.

2 hours ago, TomBiggs said:

I know this might be hard for some to answer, but in general, with realtime ratracing aside (which I don't use becuase I can't afford the bleeding edge of graphics cards),  what's CA better on   Mac or PC?  I'm just curious since I'm looking for a laptop.  I want a capable laptop that's doesn't end up sounding like a jet engine while working.

Highly controversial question.  I generally suggest you use what you feel comfortable with.  I am 100% mac and very strongly feel that way as most do because it just works and I never have down time which means I get to finish earlier, hit the pool, beach, or go fishing more... That being said if you don't want the jet engine nothing is as quiet as a mac when it comes to working but for chief (a highly gpu & cpu use program) I recommend getting the best you can afford which means 4-5k for the high end macbook pro max chip 16" with the max gpu available.  It will last you some time.

• Upvote 1

I've only ever used Macs except for a couple of laptops. Like Ryan said, Macs just work. I've been using them since 1989 and they're tanks. When I see all the threads on here of all the issues PC people have with third party drivers etc it makes me glad I don't have to deal with all that.

As far as I know the only feature that ever that didn't work on a Mac is RTRT. 

And my humble little $700 2014 MacMini with 2) 24" monitors runs X12 just fine, with virtually no lag. I don't think it will handle 13 and up very well, but a new M1 MacMini starts at $700 and a 16GB version with 512 SSD is only $1100. And they're dead quiet.

Hey, thanks for everybody's input.   I saw this comparision at the link below and it definately makes a strong arguement in support of going Mac.  I think the current architecture with the M1 max or pro chip, plus the way the system is cooled, coupled with the non-shiny screen, are a few.  Granted there are other laptop designs that might offer the side cooling.  Why would you want the cooling via the bottom as you might have it on your lap or on a pillow which is how I would sometimes want to work.   Also, citing the above comment, "built like a tank", I think that's also says a lot.  I've also heard they are quiet.  Oh yeah, and you can plug 3 monitors into it.

15 hours ago, TomBiggs said:

Hey, thanks for everybody's input.   I saw this comparision at the link below and it definately makes a strong arguement in support of going Mac.  I think the current architecture with the M1 max or pro chip, plus the way the system is cooled, coupled with the non-shiny screen, are a few.  Granted there are other laptop designs that might offer the side cooling.  Why would you want the cooling via the bottom as you might have it on your lap or on a pillow which is how I would sometimes want to work.   Also, citing the above comment, "built like a tank", I think that's also says a lot.  I've also heard they are quiet.  Oh yeah, and you can plug 3 monitors into it.

The only difference I know of is the 3080 will RTRT and the Mac won't.

• Upvote 1