Manual Nantucket Dormer over multiple pitch roof

larsonem

Hello,

I want to create a Nantucket style dormers over a multiple pitch roof. The house is a single story layout but the living room will be extended ceiling height by using a Nantucket style dormer. The living room crosses the main roof ridge so only part of the room will have the higher ceiling. I have experimented creating manual dormer different ways. If I add a 2nd floor then I get a platform created which I want to avoid. Would I just create attic walls and cut a hole in the ceiling below? Look for the best method to create this layout. Thanks  

Snap3.png

Snap5.png

Snap7.png

Great videos, I actually watch this and used your method to create the gable and shed dormers shown in the posted pictures. The 2nd floor generates a platform which I am trying to avoid so the framing will work out later. The open below creates the look but the framing will be off (see picture). If the bottom room was the same size I could just increase the ceiling height. Not sure if I would need to create two rooms on the first floor. The dividing wall maybe becomes a pony wall it is invisible below and drywalled wall above? Are there other ways the open below/Tall room look without creating a 2nd floor? 

Thanks

I am using the X12 version of Chief Architect.  

Snap8.png

11 minutes ago, larsonem said:

Great videos, I actually watch this and used your method to create the gable and shed dormers shown in the posted pictures. The 2nd floor generates a platform which I am trying to avoid so the framing will work out later. The open below creates the look but the framing will be off (see picture). If the bottom room was the same size I could just increase the ceiling height. Not sure if I would need to create two rooms on the first floor. The dividing wall maybe becomes a pony wall it is invisible below and drywalled wall above? Are there other ways the open below/Tall room look without creating a 2nd floor? 

Thanks

I am using the X12 version of Chief Architect.  

Snap8.png

Post your plan or maybe a simplified example plan so we can understand what you have done...or are doing. It'll save us all from "guessing" and possibly giving you the wrong advice.