Lowered Joist Floor even with top of green plate

chiefuser70

Hello all,

I am a fairly new user to Chief, but I have graphic design and 3D experience in other applications that seem to parlay well in Chief.

I am using Version X12.

I have been working on several projects and all of them have the floor joists sitting on a framed wall making the top of the joist even with the green plate.

To illustrate my end goal, I created what I am trying to do in my 'visual' 3D app, so it is not to scale or anything, but I am having a tough time making this happen in CA.

I get close with the the offset footing and stem wall, but I cannot figure out how to add the framing on the 7" side of the footing?

I also noticed there is an error where when you add a framed footing, it will show up like a solid piece of lumber until you rebuild the framing, and then it will look correct like it does in my 3D mockup.

Has anyone created a conditioned crawl like this, with the framing on the footing? I see in architectural guides that they just normally pour an L shaped stem wall and rest the joists on that L shelf, but there is something with the R factor and by adding the framed wall and then the foam it makes this other method better, or so I have been told.

Thank you for any suggestions. My current solution is just to draw out a normal footing and then just have the cad detail show what it really should be.

Cheers,

Joe

hung joist floor .png

cad_detail.jpg

I think I broke Chief!

I was messing with foundation walls, then adding pony walls and after a while I notice that now when I draw just a basic foundation wall it is drawing this exterior height wall with a ceiling!?

I quit, restarted, new project, same thing. What worked before seemed to break after trying to do what you did.

I will keep playing with it, and possible do a reset defaults in case I did change something.

Broken Foundation.jpg

10 hours ago, solver said:

You will get an unwanted line dividing the pony wall, but everything else looks OK, I think.

ct1.thumb.png.9c4a958ae2b7df66f58758bb94ec1469.png

Just to note what Erik is showing here is a section with auto detail which will show the two different wall heights as two walls, so you can just delete the polyline with concrete fill above and pull the one below up in section view and it will look right.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again!

Thank you for the tips, but I have been fighting with this and gave up at one point and just note a detail callout for the foundation at this point.

image.thumb.png.d53a89f06bd7d482a95c6f94477230b2.png

If you have a moment though, is it a single wall type with a pony wall check box, or is it a foundation wall with a pony wall butted up against it on the same footing?

I have tried combinations of each and never get anything close to the image you posted above.

If you do happen to have a wall dialog box showing the options I would love to see it, thank you!

Joe

Just now, chiefuser70 said:

Thank you for the tips, but I have been fighting with this and gave up at one point and just note a detail callout for the foundation at this point.

You’ve discovered the secret with working with Chief. 

To be fair though, is it really necessary for the model to be identical?

Detail notes are so much easier and it’s what people will look at who are building from your plan. Nobody is zooming into your 3D model anyway. 

Yes, I have rationed that same thing in my mind and tell myself.. "Why do I care if it is exactly correct in the 3d view?", I think it is one of those "why must I climb it?, because it is there!" type moments ;)

Like I mentioned I am more graphic design and less architect and I try to create things to learn more about the app be it photoshop to blender.

This has just been stuck in my mind and it drives me crazy that I cannot figure it out, and like Eric said, once I do figure it out, it may stick in my brain and help me with some other one off thing in the future.

I think I would use a different approach.  I'll attach a quick example plan, but the main points are:

• Set Foundation Walls to Hang Floor Platform Above On Walls (Structure panel)
  • Adjust Footing Width and Footing Offset (Foundation panel)
  • Draw the little framed walls separately just inside your foundation walls using a wall type that contains only framing and that is set to No Room Definition

1975269742_pic1.thumb.jpg.1d0554432ec5df3a94c68f021b90074a.jpg1107896933_pic2.thumb.jpg.3f8b6ddf8f4f5cebe84b79b305b7c9d7.jpg687004111_pic3.thumb.jpg.06ea745c18548a9abef8396d74370621.jpg

Example plan.plan

• Like 1

Thank you Alaskan_Son! That is it exactly!!

I can now tweak it so only the walls with a joist resting on it would have the framed wall below, and then change any other wall to not have that frame and a smaller footing. (12" versus 18")

Bravo! I am going to play with this and see what other damage I can do :)

image.thumb.png.aed99c937285d85a65fbd9b89661eae0.png 

image.thumb.png.5a05eb21f83106ae7bded5b45478ea91.png

image.thumb.png.e86eae1844ca6ea7fce2061ac3f2c49a.png