Roof beam and post help

Fredep

So, I am trying something that I have no idea what I am doing wrong.

I need to have an outbuilding with a completely open internal space.  I cannot use scissor trusses as the span may be to wide for them.  So, I want to make a rafter type roof using a beam underneath to help carry the weight.  But...

I have attached a picture of something like what I want to do.  Please note that the outside walls are, well, just that - walls.  About 8 feet in height but on a 2 foot cement wall.  The thing I am trying to do is put the posts up to the roof beam as shown.  However, I cannot figure out how to "snap" the post to the bottom of the rafter.  It will stay at the height I specify in the spec for the post.  The post and beam that I want to accomplish is circled in red.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

And, yes, I searched this forum and the internet for a solution but could not find one.

Thanks,

F

ExampleBuilding.jpg

Sorry, forgot to be more clear.

I want the post to "snap" to the bottom of the beam.  In other words,  the post will be on the top of the stub wall and be the correct height to the bottom of the beam.

Oh, and this post is to be "embedded" in the structure wall.

Thanks again and sorry for not being more clear.

F

OK, solved this thanks to the video you provided.  I was putting a post somewhere in the field then trying to move it under the beam instead of initially placing it under the beam.  All works well -- for now.

Thanks for the help

F