creating symbols in CA 10, trying to import from dwg

emac60

I am a dinosaur trying to get back in to design with my old version of CA 10 full. I am designing a building with a partial open beam scissor truss that I have drawn in Microstation (pic #1). I am trying to import the truss so it will show up in my rendered views (pic#2). I drew the straight horizontal ceiling beams for the dining room in Chief with slabs. The Living room beyond is where the scissor beam trusses go. Couldn't figure out how to draw them in Chief 10 so I remembered doing such things in Microstation and importing them in the past, but I can't get the solids to show up. When I import dwg all I get is a 2D top view of polylines (pic#3). I have tried rendering the view, turning on all layers etc. any help appreciated. Can't wait till I can afford to upgrade to the new version of Chief, but till then... 

Truss image.jpg

Ceiling image.jpg

Imported to CA truss.jpg

Recognizing the CA version 10 is about 13 years old - I'm surprised that it can import a current DWG file at all.  I would expect that the format of DWG files has changed substantially over that length of time.  At the very least, a lot of current content wouldn't be able to be accurately imported.

17 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Recognizing the CA version 10 is about 13 years old - I'm surprised that it can import a current DWG file at all.  I would expect that the format of DWG files has changed substantially over that length of time.  At the very least, a lot of current content wouldn't be able to be accurately imported.

My version of Microstation is from the same era... as I said in the original post, I may be a dinosaur, but I used to be able to import things and can't remember how. I drew the trusses myself. I am using what used to be compatible software on the same computer it all used to work on. For what you call 13 year old software, it is still pretty effective at doing what it was designed to do. I figured I would catch some slack, I added my bio in my profile but for some reason that doesn't show up here either. I was a design/builder for 40 years, retired and now full time DJ for weddings clubs and private parties, all of which have been deemed non-essential. So I am doing some design on my old software to make a few bucks and maybe rekindle a living. If that works, I will upgrade to the new Chief. I love Chief and all it has done for our industry. I have been doing computer aided design since 1984, but I am humble to admit I have grown a bit rusty. No worries, I will figure this out if no one has a quick solution... I just got frustrated after spending a boat load of time trying to import a very important piece of this design. 

17 hours ago, Dermot said:

You might want to look in your reference manual under "Importing 3D Data".

Thanks Dermot, I have searched it somewhat, but that narrows it down to where I might find the key, thanks so much... will post if I find it.