why does my raytraced pool look like a catacomb

neringa

Can anyone tell me what I did wrong with creating this pool?

Rather than blue water my pool looks like a catacomb.

I followed chief's tutorial (Reference Number: KB-00773) to a tee

and erased it and did it again and I still get this result.

Back rendering 2 (weird pool).jpg

Here is a PBR from your plan file.  Standard view looked the same.

The water is reflecting the sky.  Presently you have no sky and you have a grey color in your retrace settings for the sky.

Chose a sky background for Raytrace.

By the way, you should raise your patio doors at least 3/4" or even 1.5".  

You're getting z-fighting with the floor finish and you also need some breathing space under those sills. 

509322050_ScreenShot2021-02-17at7_41_40PM.thumb.png.a748a5fb70ab0e9eec40beae3b13a0b3.png

It's probably in the material properties. If you don't like the reflection, try redefining the material properties to 'General Material' and then lower the specular value. I think what would work better would be to use a bump map. For the pool in this rendering, I used 'Water 3' from the core library and kept the default proprieties setting (Transparent/Water/1.33) and then applied a bump map (setting of 0.01).

1930845419_4000WokingWay-SWPoolAreagroundlevelview-neighboorhood.thumb.jpg.bda7d0c40ffc79cace8f039ff0c19a1a.jpg

• Like 1

Hallalujah! Changing the Material to general worked! Though not nearly as beautiful as your rendering, Ericepv.  I still have to play around with the properties.

Regarding the bump map, Ericepv, I need to have a texture file in order to input the .01 setting. I don't have water. Would you please tell me which texture file you used?I am using X9, but it is weird, my texture file is version 10.

Perhaps they left the previous texture file? 

Also thank you for reminding me about turning on reflections in camera.

Oh, and Michael_Gia. Thank you for the tip about raising the door.

How could an architect forget abt the finished floor? :)

• Upvote 1

For the water, here's the path (this is in X12 but X9 is probably he same):

Chief Core Catalog/Materials/Landscaping and Roadways/Water.

I've attached the bump map. I also recommend that you switch your material properties back to the default settings for water. In any case, please post your result.

- Eric

water_bump map.png

• 1 year later...

As a pool designer and builder, I see pools can be done in CA, but it is very clunky and time consuming. I wish an for an add on product that makes pool designs easier and simpler to modify. Most in the pool industry use (and hate) the only other pool design software as it is made only for presentation with no construction materials. 

35 minutes ago, maslamani1 said:

As a pool designer and builder, I see pools can be done in CA, but it is very clunky and time consuming. I wish an for an add on product that makes pool designs easier and simpler to modify. Most in the pool industry use (and hate) the only other pool design software as it is made only for presentation with no construction materials. 

Here is a pool water texture. Also I do sell a pool builder tool that with 1 click will turn a room into a pool