How to define stud wall insulation?

Redzed

I just got off the phone with Tech support, after opening X12 to see what was what (I had thought you could do this in earlier versions but Now, I do not think so). Apparently, this cannot presently be done other than manually(create a polyline solid, set its material to "Insulation" and then manually place in walls, one at a time - yuck!!!). So this is a great option that we should have but presently we do not. Make a "Feature Request" to support and maybe we can get it into X13.

DJP

2 hours ago, Redzed said:

Is it possible to define the insulation that sits between the studs of a wall? I would like to use rigid insulation and also to be able to report in area, m2, in the Material List.

Many thanks

Yes in a way.  You would need to open the wall description and input the R-value of the wall.  You would set your material list to report in area for insulation.

37 minutes ago, DavidJPotter said:

I just got off the phone with Tech support, after opening X12 to see what was what (I had thought you could do this in earlier versions but Now, I do not think so). Apparently, this cannot presently be done other than manually(create a polyline solid, set its material to "Insulation" and then manually place in walls, one at a time - yuck!!!). So this is a great option that we should have but presently we do not. Make a "Feature Request" to support and maybe we can get it into X13.

DJP

This is where it gets tricky and would be best to do with just a cad block for sections.  If you are showing in 3d even more work but still doable.  When you do a section you will have to manually place a symbol indicative of rigid insulation (I generally use the same color blue as chief natively uses and set as solid with a note calling out r value/thickness.  Otherwise the auto detailing will place the standard batt insulation in the wall cavities.  These can just be selected and changed to the solid fill instead.

• Upvote 1

You can certainly display a hatch pattern in both plan view and section with Auto Detail (it just can't be the standard insulation pattern).

Hatches in both views are determined by the Fill pattern property in the wall definition - don't check the Ins column as that will overide the assigned Fill if/when you Auto Detail.

The material list will automatically give you the wall and ceiling insulation quantity for any areas that are marked as Conditioned.

Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 10.49.01 am.jpg

• Upvote 3