Chief Architect Premier X12 on Windows 10 Freezing Up Regularly

urbnsr

Hello,

I have a user's computer that is experiencing seemingly random freezing up while using his Chief Architect Premier X12 on a Windows 10 Pro x64 Computer. It doesn't appear to be a single function that causes it to freeze up, although selecting a color has been mentioned on a few times when it happens. The display is visible and mouse pointer can be moved, but otherwise system is unresponsive (or very busy). Cannot ping system during this time. CPU/GPU/System temps are found normal. The Message Log.txt file does not seem to give me a clue, nor do I find anything in Windows Event logs. User has quit all other running programs that he is aware of (not background programs) which has not helped. File being worked on when freezing is from hard drive and not an external drive or flash drive. Windows claims it is using the latest graphics driver. The computer was not originally built with CA in mind, but I believe it meets minimum recommendations. Maybe someone can confirm this for me while I work down the list provided in KB-03049, Troubleshooting Chief Architect Software.

Software:
Chief Architect Premier X12
Build 22.3.0.55x64 - June 8th, 2020

Computer System:
ASUS PRIME B450M-A/CSM AM4 AMD
CPU: 4-Core 3.7 GHz AMD Ryzen 5 3400 2nd Gen
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM 2400
GPU: Nvidia GTX1060 6GB GDDR5, Driver: v.456.71 (version per Nvidia dashboard)
    (Windows reports driver version as: 27.21.14.5671, from 30.Sep.2020)
    (Monitor is plugged into GTX1060 card)
Seagate BarraCuda ST2000DM008 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s

M/S Windows 10 Pro x64: v.10.0.19041.746

Memory and graphics card have been swapped out which did not change anything. I have a similar computer also running same Chief Architect Premium which has not reported any lockups. About the only difference in this computer is that is uses a different CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8-Core 3.7 GHz and it also uses a SSD.

Any kind of direction someone could point me in would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

It is happening with multiple files, but cannot say everyone (yet). He is a new user to Chief Architect and is working through tutorials. One of the files available to me that has caused this is about 45MB.

Could an errant configuration, or preference setting potentially cause this? Is there a function to restore all preferences to a default setting?

Thanks for the reply.

Thanks. I may have a user contact tech support.

Anyone here care to comment on the capabilities of the computer setup/hardware listed above? Is this enough to run CA X12 or is it just marginal.

Problem drawing on other computer (using the AMD Ryzen 7 2700X) will bog down a some point, but recovers without freezing.

2 hours ago, urbnsr said:

Thanks. I may have a user contact tech support.

Anyone here care to comment on the capabilities of the computer setup/hardware listed above? Is this enough to run CA X12 or is it just marginal.

Problem drawing on other computer (using the AMD Ryzen 7 2700X) will bog down a some point, but recovers without freezing.

Specs all look fine.  I suspect there's a hardware issue and my guess is that its an issue with the Hard Drive.  That's just a guess though without having access to any of the files.  I would run a performance test on the machine.  I usually use this one...

https://www.passmark.com/products/performancetest/

This should give you an idea of how the various components are working. 

You can also open up Task Manager and watch what's happening while Chief is being used.  In addition to all that, I would make sure Chief is recognizing and using the proper GPU.  Some systems have an onboard GPU.  I doubt this is your problem but its worth checking out anyway.

• 1 month later...

urbnsr,

Were you able to resolve this issue?  We have a brand new computer with less than 16 hours of Chief use on it that's freezing up sporadically.  I've done many things including going to the extent of doing a factory reset, which worked for about 10 hours of use. Any insight will be helpful before I take the step, and time, to reach out to tech support will be helpful.

Thank you!

Katy

Alienware Aurora R11 desktop: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU, 32GB, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Windows 10 Home, 1TB hard drive

Assuming that this happens in all plans, and not just one particular plan, than this is most likely a system problem.

There is no one size fits all solution to these kinds of problems. Most often they are caused by video card or driver issues but many other system related problems can cause this as well.

Please see this tech article for more information:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-03049/troubleshooting-chief-architect-software-closing-unexpectedly-on-windows.html

If you need additional help, you should contact technical support during our normal business hours:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/#contact

Hi Katy,

While I never found an exact problem, I doubt it was a hardware issue. I swapped out all hardware with a computer that does work or just installed new hardware and it still locked up. I cannot say I disabled the anti-virus (I wish I would have thought of that). I feel the problem here was related to the main drawing he was working with even though he said it happened with other drawings.

I asked the user to abandon the main drawing and start a fresh version. He has not reported a problem yet.

• Upvote 1

Thank you for the update, urbnsr! And the suggestion, Rpadge.

I swapped computers with this user so she could continue working [deadlines are short lately] and she hasn't had a complete lockup *yet*, though it is taking a bit longer to open materials and other libraries.  I'm on the new computer today to try to suss out what's going on.  If it kicks up again then I'll try turning off anti-virus and see if that resolves it.  Of course it has to happen when deadlines are at their shortest :wacko:

Kt