Saving live view scaling when re-linking

EngelsmaHomes

Hi All,

I'm trying to set up a template layout file for a set of cabinetry/trim details drawings. In the layout, there are pages with a live views that reference a template plan file. The template plan contains a number of generic rooms and setups so that trim and cabinetry details can be displayed nicely. I took camera views of those areas, sent them as live views to the template layout, and then used ctrl-x to resize the view as I needed.

Everything is great until you try to copy the templates (.layout and .plan) to a new job folder, rename them, and re-link the views - then the view doesn't come in at the same size. Trying to re-size it with ctrl-x messes up all the leader lines - so at that point you might as well not have any live views or leaders or text in your template and start from scratch.

This was a little hard to explain, but maybe some pictures will help.

Thanks,

Tom E.

Screenshot 2021-02-17 110355.png

Screenshot 2021-02-17 110432.png

Screenshot 2021-02-17 110523.png

Screenshot 2021-02-17 110554.png

If you are adding the leaders in the layout file you are in for a rough ride.  One workflow that works well for doing situations is to create these types of drawings in a CAD detail page in the PLAN file.  You can block these, and save them to your library and then you can link them to a layout file with no problems at all.

10 minutes ago, Doug_N said:

If you are adding the leaders in the layout file you are in for a rough ride.  One workflow that works well for doing situations is to create these types of drawings in a CAD detail page in the PLAN file.  You can block these, and save them to your library and then you can link them to a layout file with no problems at all.

Thanks Doug. I don't normal do this, but I couldn't find a better way to have a live view with notes. The live view is important because I can easily enter the plan and, for example, change the default room base molding, and all the live views that show base molding will show the new.

2 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

The problems you're alluding to can be largely if not entirely eliminated by changing your Arrow Defaults in Layout so that only the Tail is set to Attach...

Awesome! That will help a lot. I just recently learned about re-sizing a live view with ctrl-x, I used to struggle to find a camera view that wasn't clipped but still was the right size on the layout. Any idea what this is actually doing to the view, and why it doesn't translate over when I copy the template and its files to a new job folder?

It's a known issue.  I have reported it.  You should as well.  It's a time sink with templates and really frustrating when creating multiple options to show the same views with the various options.  Keeping the camera views the same allows the customer to easily compare the views.  I've started sending JPGs because the layout views do not remain at the same zoom level when the plans are relinked.