Double Hung Window?

Larry_Sweeney

I'm sure some will say I'm nit picking, but come on CA this is just another reason the window building needs a major overhaul. Build a normal double hung with 2" top rail, 1 1/4" meeting rail and a 2 3/4" bottom rail and install it in a wall. Take an elevation shot and measure the height of the glass "daylight openings" of the top and bottom sash. They are different heights. :(  Make the bottom rail 10" high just for the heck of it and you will really see a difference in the openings between the top and bottom one. This is not the way it works! ANYONE with any knowledge of windows would know both daylight openings should be equal no matter what the height of the bottom rail is. Unless I'm missing a dbx. somewhere in the window specification this is another flaw in building CA windows. Since I started with Version 10 I've been screaming to fix the frigging WINDOWS! (exterior sloped sills----another major area) CA is so darn concerned about making pretty renderings and such. If you want them to look "pretty" then please make them look right! Just for once give us a fix for something we've been asking for forever. Sorry for the rant. It's been one of those days. I'm not going to get into all the flaws of CA's windows. I think most of you know what they are. Now that I got that off my shoulders I think I'll get a coffee. All you out there--------Be safe and have a great day.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Larry_Sweeney said:

Take an elevation shot and measure the height of the glass "daylight openings" of the top and bottom sash. They are different heights

Can't you use the Bottom Component Size to adjust the top and bottom sash sizes?

Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 10.54.08 am.jpg

• Upvote 1

Thanks Glenn. I'll definitely remember that. The real problem is that it should be done automatically in the programing or at least I don't understand why it's not adjusted using "built-in" programing. Now if you can figure out how to add a correct sloped sill to a double hung window I'll be totally amazed.  :)  Thanks again for taking the time to "calm" me. Be safe and have a great day.

Windows need some attention.  They are basically blocks in a rough opening.  No sill profile is a big problem and has been noted numerous times.  I would never measure the glass size from a CA generated window.  I go directly to the manufacturer's information.

Doors are similarly quirky, but I won't go there.

Glenn...……………..When I'm talking about a sill, I mean the sloped piece on the exterior bottom of a double/single hung window frame. This angled sill is usually thicker (1 1/4"-2") than the sides and top frame and is usually sloped from 8 to 12 degrees. It's on the entire bottom area of the window frame. CA makes a frame all the way around the window that is flat on the bottom, which is fine for awning or casement windows. CA does let you "attach" your own sill profile to the face of the flat window frame that always show a reveal. This is far from correct. The sill should be sloped and extend back under the sash like I show in the attachment. I do this now by attaching a piece of "millwork" to each window when the occasion arises (a real PITA). What would be nice is if CA could let you add our own "sill profile" molding to replace the bottom part of the window frame. This is just another item in CA where they get the programing 75% correct and say that's good enough and never look back no matter how much something is asked to be fixed. Like I mentioned in an earlier thread, the basic window programing hasn't changed since at least V10. Yes they have added on a few minor items, but the items that really count ---------------? The same discussion could go for the inside window stool, which some refer as a sill, but that's a whole other story.  :mellow: Be safe and have a great day.

window sill.jpg

Joe...…………...Yes, that's true, but it attaches to the flat face of the window frame instead of replacing the bottom part of the flat frame. If using  "sill profile" it should be able to go back under the lower sash. Now whenever you attach a "sill profile" to the frame it also always shows a reveal no matter what the casing reveal is set too. I think it may even be attaching it to the lower outside face of the frame. Like I said earlier, they're 75% there. They either don't have an understanding of how a window is built and how it should look or is it that they just don't care. Knowing it has been like this since at least V10 it's probably both. Be safe and have a great day.

18 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

This sloped sill detail is needed for both hung windows and exterior doors, both hinged and sliding.

And it's all been requested multiple times in Suggestions.

Get in line with the "wants" and "needs"...the first thing to be fixed has to be the stair tool.

And...I'm not holding my breath. :huh: