3D Views suddenly malfunction

MichaelScott

Hello - 

I have 6-7 older versions of the same plan as I create the house.  Yesterday, 3D Dollhouse was working fine, all files.   Today, 3D (all) are corrupt back 3 versions but the 4th older version and older are working fine in 3D. On the most current 3 versions, opening 3D creates a 3D image far, far in the distance, when I bring it up, the image reacts wildly to the mouse.  The rendering is corrupt as below.   I have the newest Home Designer Pro on a W10 I-7 HP with 16M memory. Reboot & restart program didn't help.   Any ideas?

Thanks, Michael Lowery, Colorado Springs, CO

3D Falls Apart.JPG

If you open the 3D view and your model is very far away your building is most likely too far from the origin (0,0).  Or you have an 3D object very far from your model.  that's causing Z fighting.  You can search that term here for more info.

Look for objects far away--In plan view zoom way out and marquis select the entire screen.  the offending object, should be selected in the bounding box.  Delete it.  Do this for each floor.

To find the origin, place a point and set it to 0,0.  If 0,0 is a long distance away, you'll have to move your model closer.  I'd use the Edit Area All Floors, Transform Replicate to move it closer.  Make note of the distance you move it because your elevation and section CAD will have to be moved that distance too.

OK, thanks.  That is like six light years ahead of where I am now.  I was editing terrain sequentially and saving my changes incrementally and fail to understand why the 3d effect didn't show up as soon as I made the error, when I could have corrected it easily.  I understand the theory of what you describe and will try it.   If not I will go back to the working version and simplify the terrain to the point where there is less chance of error.   - Michael 

OK, I found a camera had been set about 40 miles away.  Sure. That would be a problem. No idea how that happened.  It will take awhile to learn to delete cameras, but that can be done.  In the mechanical/electrical/electronic world, we put limiters on the travel of mechanical devices, current limiters and what-not.   Thanks again, HD Pro is nothing if it is not the modern version of an IQ test.  M.