Roof Valley /Water Run Off

larsonem

Hello, I am looking for some advise on how to improve the intersecting roofs which will overlap gable roof onto the hip roof so water avoid the corner on an addition project for myself. In the "elevation" picture, the hip roof to left is existing roof that will be extended to insect the new addition gable roof to the right.  We like floor plan layout and ceiling heights but having trouble getting the roof line correct. I have attached the plan file and some snapshots.

Second question: How would I create the roofline extension like the attached "roof line" photo?   

Thanks for help.

Elevation.png

Roof Line.png

Valley.png

Dugan #8D.plan

Everything I see are gable roofs.  You have some "valleys" where gable roofs perpendicular to each other intersect (e.g., the red valley in your last image) but no hips anywhere.  I call the roof style in your second picture a full return ... but it probably is called other things by other folks in different parts of the country or world.  I don't really understand everything you were trying to say regarding issues or what you are trying to fix.  So I just went into your plan and cleaned up some of the roof planes you didn't figure out yet, did some chimney work for you (added the 4th wall above the roof; added a chimney cap from the library; and added a cricket), put a roof on your porch and added a couple of full returns to a couple of gables.  Another way to create that look is by using a dormer but I will let you research how to do that in chiefs videos, knowledge base and/or anywhere else they may have covered it.  A zipped file of your plan is attached.  Make sure you analyze some of the roof plane connections I fixed as they can be a little tricky when your starting out with Chief and doing things manually.  I like to do as much automatically in building roofs.  The easiest way to do that is to make sure the exterior wall roof settings are correct for each wall a roof plane will bear on.  I didn't look at anything on the interior of your plan so if there are issues in there, I didn't look for them and honestly don't have time to do that today.

Good luck ... hope what I've done is some help to you.

326375991_Dugan8D.zip

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Curt, Thanks for file and cleanup. How did you create the full returns? My first question is a design question of how to change the valley in orange so the water run off on the lower roof. Currently the valley exist right at the corner of the house. The only thing I came up with so far is to add a second roof at a different pitch like the picture show. Other options would change the layout which we want to keep.   

overlay roof line.png

overlay roof line 2.png

Just placed a roof plane manually against the side of the gable wall and then manipulated the ends for a 45 miter.  Make sure to match your fascia height with the adjoining roof planes.  I agree with Chris .... your roof should drain just fine as designed.

3 hours ago, CJSpud said:

If you change to something like Steve's possible solution, I would recommend one or two details in your plans showing step flashing and a kickout flashing where the roof plane/gutter meets the (a) gable wall.

You would assume that these things you recommend would not need to be stated...

Assumptions can get you in trouble sometimes.  I have seen contractors in my area who don't do kickout flashing so you would "assume" that if you put it on the plans, that it would get built that way.  I've put things on plans that do not get done that way, so you realistically you can't assume too much.  As they say ... "the devil is in the details" ... !