Diagonal Passageways and Rooms Inside Walls

THBlack

I'm new to CA and need advice on the best way to do some things. I'm using X12, the latest version.

I'm modeling ancient structures that have the following features;

1. A large courtyard surrounded by four walls. Three walls are connected and have standard doorways (two are shown for one wall in attached diagram). Fourth wall (Wall 1) touches at corner. Diagonal passageway is cut into Wall 2 at ground level. Walls extend upward and touch. What is the best way to cut out the passageway into Wall 2?

2. Wall 2 (and the other 2) have small rooms inside them. There is a doorway / passageway from the courtyard into the rooms. What is the best way to do this?

3. Walls have diagonal passageways in the corners where they intersect. See bottom diagram. What is the best way to do this?

Thank you very much.

H Black

Diagonal passageways and rooms inside walls.jpg

What would the actual method of construction be for these ancient walls ?   If the this structure is just walls and no roof I don't see any reason it could not be built with p-solids or solids when necessary.  The tough part is interpreting two incompatible and not to scale floor plans that don't seem to be compatible with the written description. The description seems to make sense but then why are there two different floor plans ?  Could you sketch out your interpretation of an A doorway in 3D ?  The rest should be easy.

I've been using Designer Pro a bit and recently upgraded to X12 because of the added features and the unique requirements of this project. 

Didn't know the name of the feature in X12 to get me going. Your reference to p-solids and the X12 reference took me to polyline solids. This is what I needed to hear. Thank you. The video / rendition you did was beautiful. What type of texture / rocks did you do / use for the structure?

Below is what I was able to hack together thanks to your tip.

The corner by 'A; was fussy. Walls insisted on connecting when all I wanted was for them to kiss. So I put some slabs at the ends of the walls to keep them from connecting. Is there a way to stop the auto-connect to get walls to kiss without having to do this kluge?

Did the cut-out by making a p-solid at the end of the wall, then another one at the height and angle of the cut-out, then subtracted.

Want to use native walls as much as possible instead of making the entire thing with p-solids so that I could use architectural objects like doors. Wound up gluing together wall segments. From A to where the room starts for the first B opening is a wall that is six feet thick. Then drew walls that were two feet thick to make the room and added a doorway at B. Then drew a single six foot wall to where the next room would begin and made a grand entrance at C. Then made the second room with two-foot walls. Then completed the wall with a six-foot thick wall and put an entrance there.

Whew! Not sure if the developers of CA meant it for someone like me to bang it up this way. But it worked, so far.

Is there an easier way to do all this besides the p-solid and hack routes?

The 'D' diagram is an entirely different floor plan. Four standard walls with diagonal passageways cut into the corners. I didn't try this but would it work if I drew normal walls and then pushed in a p-solid where I want the passageways are needed and then subtracted the p-solid? Would the passageways stay as holes in the walls where I need them or would the walls snap together? Or would it simply not work and I'd need to do the same kludge?

Finally, can you recommend some training / videos to get me more into making stuff with p-solids?

Thanxabunch ! !

2d.jpg

3d.jpg

Well isn't that interesting....   I also made my walls 6' thick. And applied the Owens Corning  "European Castle Stone" in a custom scaled format.  https://www.chiefarchitect.com/3d-library/index.php?r=site/detail/724

Yes you will need to use some walls if your openings need to have doors in them so that is good.

Not so sure that the software will handle a diagonal doorway in the corner intersection of a wall quite yet though.

You can constrain the snapping characteristics of automatic walls to a certain extent by using an intersecting room divider wall that is invisible.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/playlists/98/moldings-primitives-3d-cad.html

There are quite a few very talented users here on the forum so keep us posted of your progress and if you get stuck you can always post your plan file and those that are interested can play along with you.

I just started having a play with this one and I was using walls - not polysolids.

Only thing is, I used walls that are 1layer (stone) and 1mm thick and used them to draw the outside surface of the actual walls.

This means that it is very easy to control things like second floors, heights, invisible walls, materials, openings, foundations, etc.

I just did this in the last 10 minutes to see how it would work.

The shaded "walls" are actually rooms defined by the 1mm thick walls. 

Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 6.24.50 pm.jpg

This is the smaller structure built with all walls as well

416000365_ScreenShot2021-02-15at8_41_50pm.thumb.jpg.609c2a75e89085f24e1ae6f3abadc1c1.jpg

• Upvote 1

Thanxabunch, Chopsaw and Glenn!.

Glad to know that there are helpful and engaged people out there supporting this terrific product.

I'm giving CA a workout by working on ancient buildings.

Just wondering how it would fair if someone took on using it to build the International Space Station. Would be a great project to use for a race to see who can whip it up the fastest with all the detail. Just need a floor plan and a way to make a foundation for it.

Here is a starter for the floor plan, together with a background image for an Architect that thinks his/her work is so super that it is 'out of this world'

https://www.flickr.com/photos/165445115@N07/44304304270/

Harlan

ISS.png