Custom Label

JeanTurcotte

Go to solution Solved by GerryT,

Chief currently only has 1 line available for labels but you can create text label using text macro's in a text block. You may have to create your own macro's for surface and overhang though. There are some people her that could do that  ( Gerry) (Bill).

There are a lot of macro's in the program that you can't use in a text box. Sorry, not my expertise, but maybe those who can are following this thread. I know enough to be dangerous.  Another way to get those numbers you want is to create a simple p-line, outline the area , then open the DBX and it will give you the area of that p-line.

• Solution

This might give you some ideas and maybe more questions. You have to use a reference macro since labels are limited to one line --- another squeaky wheel? The secret to making it look like a label is to put the reference line on a separate layer and turn off that layer. the line will still stay connected.

Short answer is: it’s not easy and deliberately so. Since Chief will not support access to their internal data and is not likely to do so, I don’t recommend it. But a workaround:

You must provide an ID for each object (roof plane) that you want to total the data for. This is because Chief does not permit object IDs (handles in other software). You can only do this by making a macro for each object with a unique ID # assigned within. This means a unique macro for each object (roof plane). You can copy the same macro and just edit the ID field within each then change the macro name. You then copy the referenced data to a Global Storage variable (Hash). Then add up the separate pieces of data from Global memory. It has to be done this way because macro execution cannot be controlled by the user.

IOW – it’s easier to just use the material list.

But Attached is a sample plan showing the process.