Sections not displaying ceiling or roof

lookingforchange

I have looked at a few of the section videos and tried to locate the information to rectify the problem.  I cruised around click on different layers in the defaults etc. I am sure if I click enough stuff I will eventually figure it out but instead of frustrating myself for hours on end, I decided to bring it here.  I know that the section can display the way I would like because one of the videos I previewed about sections displayed the section the way I would like. The section on the left is the one that is wrong to me as it does not show the Roof, or ceiling model lines.  The section on the right does show the ceiling and roof model lines.

581478168_ScreenShot2021-02-12at5_30_38PM.thumb.jpg.dd9317e83d761f9cd50e757700878531.jpg

I am sure it is something simple like clicking or unclicking a box 

5 minutes ago, solver said:

What are model lines?

Maybe a screen capture from that video would help?

Not sure what else to call them but model lines would be something the model would display for you.  My section cutting the same way as the ridge does not show ceiling or roof framing like in the video I watched on your site. Here is the image: 

1462608890_ScreenShot2021-02-12at6_18_22PM.thumb.png.9135410dd43b4dccf8af77014159a478.png

3 minutes ago, solver said:

The image you posted just above shows a top floor with Flat Ceiling unchecked, just like this one.

It shows a ceiling and a roof here is the full section from the video:

624487649_ScreenShot2021-02-12at6_34_04PM.thumb.png.bc64840550c312d64658108c623479e4.png

I want roof rafters and the ceiling to show up and they do not in my section that cuts parallel to the direction of the ridge.  Your section however shows the roof framing without the ceiling.  The section I posted shows now ceiling and no roof rafters in one cut but does in the other.  I have the flat ceiling box checked.  In my settings but it looks like this:

1386249848_ScreenShot2021-02-12at6_40_11PM.thumb.png.8a88ccda4fd2e1500e3e00efb7282e76.png

If I cut the perpendicular direction everything is fine. :-/

My mistake I should have said the Cheif tutorials videos.  However, you are right in your first comment that it was a floor with the ceiling turned off.  There are a lot of differences between Chief then in Revit and the way the two different software display stuff.  When I cut a section I expect to see the top line of the roof and the inside line also so it creates a box I also expect to see a top and bottom line of the ceiling. Similarly, as it shows here:

1845634925_ScreenShot2021-02-12at7_36_07PM.thumb.png.2a239590730751f87fffc809bcbce8e1.png

I am realizing the reason I see this here in this way is I am actually seeing the wall rather than looking at the roof. I am understanding now that the top ceiling line and the bottom rafter line are just not there in chief when cutting the other direction because the framing will dictate that as in the real world those lines would not exist unless you had a plywood floor in your attic. It shows up in the other direction section because you are looking at it from the side rather than cutting it.  

As I see it I can fix this in a few ways one would be to turn ceilings off on the second floor and use a Pline solid as a ceiling, Try to manipulate heights and put the roof on a floor instead of in the attic, or simply turn it into a cad detail and manually draft those parts the way I want to see them. 

Thank you for taking the time to prepare that little lesson on how the software functions it helped me to understand some limitations and create an alternative method at least for myself.  Below is what I want it to look like and I did this by following your first answer in that it was another floor without a ceiling then manipulating heights.  

1550878766_ScreenShot2021-02-12at8_05_30PM.thumb.png.27019720c64d4d727e1d5d3ab27b5d59.png

I think the least problematic solution will be to manually draw lines at the end. 

It represents the bottom of the Roof Rafters, the reality is that line does not truly exist in an attic unless you put sheeting on the underside of the rafters or drywall or something. Just like the line on the top of the ceiling does not really exist in the attic unless you have a subfloor sitting on the joists. However, from a drafting standpoint, you would box the framing like that most other software I have used/tried show it as such. Chief has chosen to not show it boxed out like that and it is not the end of the world now that I know it is displaying as it was intended.  Here is how a Revit section looks without actually putting the framing in: 

1943065398_RevitSection.thumb.jpg.21a6bfcc54a196cc7edf8ffd6cec6d84.jpg

5 hours ago, SNestor said:

If you post your sample plan someone here will explicitly answer your question. Thanks

Hello Steve, 

Here is a sample room however, I think; solver has actually explicitly responded with the little video that he made.

After fiddling around I realized that Chief does not use 3D solid models, it uses 3D edges/surfaces.  So the interior ceiling is one line and so is the exterior roof surface but those two objects do not produce a line in the attic.   The roof and the ceiling are not actually boxed as they are only represented by the interior surface and the exterior surface, not the two surfaces that would be inside the attic.  Rightly so it does not exist in the real world when you build a house either you would have studs and between those studs would not be a line.   Part of the problem is my lingo might be a bit different than your lingo what I call framing someone who uses Chief literally calls framing ie studs, beams, trusses, etc., and when I say model line it is not understood because that is not a term Chief people use.  However, if you want to give it a go what I want is for my section in chief without loading all the wood framing to look like:

1894891540_RevitSection.thumb.jpg.535256703332dae92b58d9834deb0110.jpg

The closest I got was by turning off the ceiling, and using a soffit as the ceiling;

734628110_ScreenShot2021-02-13at9_25_43PM.thumb.png.dbdb2bab36ad36416e08e3398b97a991.png

I am totally fine with using a soffit for a ceiling unless you got a better solution.  Keep in mind that if you cut parallel to the direction of the roof rafters and ceiling joists the lines are correct.  My best guess is the programming assumes because you are looking at the side of the rafter/joists that the second line would be visible. 

Sample Room.plan