Deck Joist Flush with Beam

ChiefuserMathews

I am new so I am no expert but I found two ways while I was practicing using the software.  

Solution 1:

Click the beam and drag it up into the framing and then drag the posts up to meet the bottom of the framing

Solution 2:

Turn off the beam in the deck dbx and manually draw the beam, posts, and footings back manually with their respective tools. 

Maybe there is a more automated way to do it and an expert can help you out but if you are in a rush this could get you by in the meantime. I do a lot of projects in VHFHZ so open decks are not normally permitted and stucco beams are awful looking. 

Deck auto build is to build that certain way like you see.  Anything outside of that will need some manual adjustments.

First once you have your deck how you want it,build the deck with auto tools and open the dbx and click retain framing essentially turning the auto framing off.

Second open the beam and move it to the right x y or z coordinates you want or if you turned off the beams you can manually place a new beam or as many do with flush beams is copy and paste, move existing joists to double or triple as needed.  Place posts and footings manually or move the auto generated setting heights apppropriately.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, lookingforchange said:

I am new so I am no expert but I found two ways while I was practicing using the software.  

Solution 1:

Click the beam and drag it up into the framing and then drag the posts up to meet the bottom of the framing

Solution 2:

Turn off the beam in the deck dbx and manually draw the beam, posts, and footings back manually with their respective tools. 

Maybe there is a more automated way to do it and an expert can help you out but if you are in a rush this could get you by in the meantime. I do a lot of projects in VHFHZ so open decks are not normally permitted and stucco beams are awful looking. 

Hello, thank you for your suggestions. Its open deck because its only 6" above the grade more over the client don't want a guard rail.

10 hours ago, lookingforchange said:

stucco beams are awful looking. 

Stucco beam was not intentionally done and I don't know how it came nor neither I know how to adjust. It was acting weird. Anyways thank you

4 hours ago, ChiefuserMathews said:

Stucco beam was not intentionally done and I don't know how it came nor neither I know how to adjust. It was acting weird. Anyways thank you

Sorry for the miss understanding I was not referring to your beam as stucco, only that a beam in a Very High Fire hazard zone would have to be stuccoed and that looks awful. Maybe I should have been more direct with my response. 

On 2/11/2021 at 11:38 PM, ChiefuserMathews said:

Could some experts look at the attached image and plan and let me know how could I bring the deck joist down in line with beam? Due to the site condition I cannot have the joist sitting on top of the beam.

deck beam-v01.plan

flush joist with beam.jpg

Made you a quick video on how I'd do it...fairly easy. 

Deck Joist Flush with Beam — Watch Video

4adede4607464559a2a8dd89b5638d90-1613240772961-with-play.gif