What is your Plan File Size?

cjanderson66

I am not sure what is happening but my average file size is getting crazy high and is loading my system up with huge archive files that I am constantly having to remove.  My average file size, and mind you these are pretty large projects, is between 85 to 150 MB.  Does this seem pretty large to you guys?  In addition I am finding that there is a huge lag time now and that I am constantly seeing that little rotating circle spinning and it is creating a big delay on my workload.  Any suggestions?  I would submit a plan but I can't go over 25 MB and these files are much larger than that.

Another thing that is driving me crazy is,  I go to change a material and I see more than five color:white (for example) and there is no way to purge those additional materials.  There are multiple things associated and shouldn't it be associate by that one material without creating more than one.  I just don't get it.

20 minutes ago, kylejmarsh said:

Could be furniture, cars, other objects that are driving up your model size. Chief does get laggy when you get into big houses. I've complained about this before but you really can't be too critical here or you get a bunch of downvotes.

Now I'm tempted! Just hovering over that arrow...nah, not today!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, cjanderson66 said:

I am not sure what is happening but my average file size is getting crazy high and is loading my system up with huge archive files that I am constantly having to remove.  My average file size, and mind you these are pretty large projects, is between 85 to 150 MB.  Does this seem pretty large to you guys?  In addition I am finding that there is a huge lag time now and that I am constantly seeing that little rotating circle spinning and it is creating a big delay on my workload.  Any suggestions?  I would submit a plan but I can't go over 25 MB and these files are much larger than that.

Another thing that is driving me crazy is,  I go to change a material and I see more than five color:white (for example) and there is no way to purge those additional materials.  There are multiple things associated and shouldn't it be associate by that one material without creating more than one.  I just don't get it.

I regularly have files exceeding 100 MB because of furniture symbols. To address the speed, you either simplify your model or throw money at a faster machine.

A couple of other things to check:

-purge CAD blocks

- purge materials

- merge materials

• Upvote 1

You might want to check out this help article:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00521/troubleshooting-slowness-in-chief-architect-plans.html

I go to change a material and I see more than five color:white (for example) and there is no way to purge those additional materials.  There are multiple things associated and shouldn't it be associate by that one material without creating more than one.  I just don't get it.

I assume you are talking about plan materials.  I would bet that all of those materials are slightly different.  The easiest way to tell what is different is to group select them in the Plan Materials dialog and use the Edit button.  Anything that is different should be set to the "No Change" state.  If you want only one version of the material, then you can use the Merge tool.

• Upvote 1

Recently finished a 46 unit/mixed use apartment building that is 75mb + a 40mb "details" file.

Things did not start to slow down till close to the end.  I try to avoid images and PDFs added in

Think it may just be a fact of life... Others using Revit for large projects have complained about slowdowns so It may not be just a CA thing.

Eric

CA 12 / i7 3.5ghz/ Geforce 1080 / SSD/ 16mb ram.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Dermot said:

You might want to check out this help article:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00521/troubleshooting-slowness-in-chief-architect-plans.html

I assume you are talking about plan materials.  I would bet that all of those materials are slightly different.  The easiest way to tell what is different is to group select them in the Plan Materials dialog and use the Edit button.  Anything that is different should be set to the "No Change" state.  If you want only one version of the material, then you can use the Merge tool.

I am and just that fact that you told me to merge was a great tip.  Never used it but that is great and will try to do this more often.  THx