Why do roof planes in CA hate me?

divreig

7 hours ago, divreig said:

But i would still like to understand why?

Your fascia top heights should match if you want a clean roof plane join.

If you drag your soffit in plan view by stretching the soffit edge instead of moving the roof plane then you'll change your fascia top height.

Move the planes so they line up where you want in plan view first and then join the roof valleys.

This way you won't be changing the fascia top height.

130780511_ScreenShot2021-02-11at9_40_04AM.thumb.png.e07c847092e4166ed56197c14c9a2475.png

wio

2 hours ago, Michael_Gia said:

Your fascia top heights should match if you want a clean roof plane join.

If you drag your soffit in plan view by stretching the soffit edge instead of moving the roof plane then you'll change your fascia top height.

Move the planes so they line up where you want in plan view first and then join the roof valleys.

This way you won't be changing the fascia top height.

130780511_ScreenShot2021-02-11at9_40_04AM.thumb.png.e07c847092e4166ed56197c14c9a2475.png

Ok Thanks, soffit edge is edge of the roof plan? I was doing that. but will try again. I really like to improve my roofs in CA. 

9 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Try to work with auto roof as long as you possibly can.  It should be able to handle a roof such as this.

See attached plan file.

Existing Chopped.plan

ChopSaw love the user name! That what i was going for. I did most of it in auto roofs, pitch placement gables, then tried ridge heights, and it all went to heck. No other changes not sure how much other automated septs i can take. I if missed something let me know. 

17 minutes ago, divreig said:

ChopSaw love the user name! That what i was going for. I did most of it in auto roofs, pitch placement gables, then tried ridge heights, and it all went to heck. No other changes not sure how much other automated septs i can take. I if missed something let me know. 

Yes you abandoned auto roof when I am not sure there was any reason to.  Take a look at all the wall and roof settings in the plan file that I edited for you.

10 hours ago, divreig said:

So i have set all the settings like pitch base line etc. in the roof plains dialog to match but the roof plains will not join. It looks ok in views , so not a biggie for this project.  But i would still like to understand why?

I took a quick look at your plan, and it literally only took a matter of seconds to clean it up.  I'm pretty sure you're just not using the Join Roof Planes tool correctly.  You need to:

1.  Make sure that the appropriate edge is selected and highlighted.

2.  Click the Join Roof Planes tool.

3.  Click on the edge that you want to join your roof plane to.

18 hours ago, divreig said:

So i have set all the settings like pitch base line etc. in the roof plains dialog to match but the roof plains will not join. It looks ok in views , so not a biggie for this project.  But i would still like to understand why? File attached. 

Existing.plan

This may help.

Sorry, no music this time.

Existing.plan