Problem with wall Joins

lookingforchange

Hello Everyone,

I am super new to Chief only been using it for about 2 weeks, and I keep trying to remind myself that when I started using Revit 17 years ago I was not a master.  In my two weeks, I have vastly increased my skill set with the software learning the tools and how the software functions. Most of the time an answer has been fairly easy to find and in this case, also I think I found the answer but I am not sure I like it.

Problem:

I have two walls one stucco and one is siding on the first floor above the siding I also have siding on the second floor.  Where the two walls join on the first floor the stucco does not end where I want it to and leaves me with a section of the wall that is stucco that I would like to be siding. I think the problem stems from an interior wall being right at the location where I want the split to take place. This interior wall is actually a stacking wall with the front wall on the second floor.

Solution 1

I placed a corner trim hoping for the easy solution by covering it up but unless I make the trim larger than it should be that's not going to work.

Solution 2

I remembered back when I watched the course on the Bachelor view project on the stepped wall a polyline solid was used so I tried that but it still leaves a line.

I am really trying hard to use this software and step away from Revit after 17 years and in turn allowing myself to step away from windows as well. However, simple things like the ability to control where walls segment start and stop are killing my production.  I am really enjoying certain parts of this software but some things just seem like a dirty hack.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You

Scott

Screen Shot 2021-02-10 at 2.41.58 PM.png

1 hour ago, lookingforchange said:

Hello Everyone,

I am super new to Chief only been using it for about 2 weeks, and I keep trying to remind myself that when I started using Revit 17 years ago I was not a master.  In my two weeks, I have vastly increased my skill set with the software learning the tools and how the software functions. Most of the time an answer has been fairly easy to find and in this case, also I think I found the answer but I am not sure I like it.

Problem:

I have two walls one stucco and one is siding on the first floor above the siding I also have siding on the second floor.  Where the two walls join on the first floor the stucco does not end where I want it to and leaves me with a section of the wall that is stucco that I would like to be siding. I think the problem stems from an interior wall being right at the location where I want the split to take place. This interior wall is actually a stacking wall with the front wall on the second floor.

Solution 1

I placed a corner trim hoping for the easy solution by covering it up but unless I make the trim larger than it should be that's not going to work.

Solution 2

I remembered back when I watched the course on the Bachelor view project on the stepped wall a polyline solid was used so I tried that but it still leaves a line.

I am really trying hard to use this software and step away from Revit after 17 years and in turn allowing myself to step away from windows as well. However, simple things like the ability to control where walls segment start and stop are killing my production.  I am really enjoying certain parts of this software but something just seems like a dirty hack.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You

Scott

Screen Shot 2021-02-10 at 2.41.58 PM.png

Can be a little tricky but try this tool:

image.png.afe501af3ef6b369ab4898c285ddc5c8.png It's name is "Edit Wall Layer Intersections"

image.thumb.png.63a0e72d881e2f2aad7c4e1fef6209f5.png

image.thumb.png.3cedefa3365aba4cce42e8b638e2cd48.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Michael_Gia said:

2 weeks and you already got a chimney cap and vent?

Bravo.

I'd send the plan or a modified plan keeping the problem area and deleting everything else.

Somebody on here will provide the proper way to handle these issues and not simply a quick and dirty work around.

In all fairness, I have 17 years of Revit experience I could pretty much build anything you could imagine in Revit so I had a really strong base. Then with all the videos courses offered by Cheif helped me to understand how things worked.  The Crash course Bootcamp flattened the curve significantly the rest was just using the program.  The chimney cap with vent was just a standard drop-in from the library. 

1 hour ago, rgardner said:

Can be a little tricky but try this tool:

image.png.afe501af3ef6b369ab4898c285ddc5c8.png It's name is "Edit Wall Layer Intersections"

This was totally the answer thank you, like you said a little tricky as they give you a handle for each layer once I grabbed the outer handle success! I guess I should have asked for help hours ago instead of getting frustrated.  

• Upvote 1