Schedules and Object Question

PMMully

Hi all,

I was looking to find a way to create a custom schedule for specialized hardware like the Simpson stuff in the libraries. There is no "schedule" metadata field. Is it possible to add one so this the objects could be added to a custom schedule? I played around with the Object Information panel creating a custom object field, but I can not get it to work. Ideas?

Most of the objects in the simpson library are either hardware symbols or cad blocks.  There is no way currently to put a hardware symbol or cad block into a schedule.  You could convert the hardware symbols you want into another symbol type, such as a fixture, and then you would be able to create a schedule with them.

In X13, you will be able to add hardware symbols to schedules without needing to convert them.  There is still no way to add a cad block though.  If this is something that you want, you should submit a feature request.

59 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Patrick,

What are you actually trying to do?  What information do you want to add to a Schedule and what would it look like?

A typical practice in my area is to have a table with all connectors in it, with callouts throughout the plan. So for example, if I have an LVL and I have two concealed hangers that need to installed in CMU,along with 50 typical truss straps for CMU, and a handful of other connectors for say a girder truss, high uplift, etc., So they get the appropriate annotations on the plan so the builder knows what specific connector goes where. For example, if your PE specifies a Simpson HGUS410 for an LVL, you grab it out of the library, all good. It would be great to have a connector schedule to organize it. I created a custom category, a custom schedule, all good. But I can not find a way to mark the "show in schedule" like for a window, door, etc. in the simpson library. So I was hoping to create my own field called Schedule, but it is not gertting it done.

The cool thing is it does shows up in the material list, so that part is great to price/order.

15 minutes ago, Dermot said:

Most of the objects in the simpson library are either hardware symbols or cad blocks.  There is no way currently to put a hardware symbol or cad block into a schedule.  You could convert the hardware symbols you want into another symbol type, such as a fixture, and then you would be able to create a schedule with them.

In X13, you will be able to add hardware symbols to schedules without needing to convert them.  There is still no way to add a cad block though.  If this is something that you want, you should submit a feature request.

I suspected that would be the answer. Thank you.  

I did convert it to an exterior fixture but I still did not see the schedule tab show up.

5 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Are you sure you placed and selected your new Symbol and the you didn't just select the old one?

@Alaskan_Son you nailed it. Worked like a charm. I did try and make it a symbol other than the suggested fixture, but it did not work. What worked was "Fixture/Exterior".

To @Dermot's question about cad blocks, I do not really have the experience to answer if having a cad block added to a schedule. Maybe 'yall can chime in. I guess if you had a set of grouped components (i.e. "sub-SKUs") in the block that mapped up to one "super-SKU" as a package, yes, I see where that could be helpful. No use case for me is jumping out though at the moment.