Precast Concrete Wall Panels?

Austin457

I do not have this application yet.

I'm just an individual who wants to play around with drawing a house, but I want to be able to use pre-defined wall types of precast concrete wall panels. I could not find any reference to this wall type on the CA site or via Google.

Does Chief Architect have precast wall panels in it's library?

TIA

Just now, Kiwideziner said:

No, but it is really easy to make them in the wall definition.

Good to know, thanks for responding.

My hesitation is by manually defining it (a precast wall), I'm probably not going to get a lot of build details like rebar, structural connections, etc. like I would if I was using a professionally drawn library. But that might not be true either. Don't know since I don't actually have the program yet. I might go ahead and get the trial version and see for myself.

Thanks again for responding. :)

Just be aware that precast panels are typically custom per job.  You would need an engineer to design them in any event and Chief doesn't do the detailing of rebar, etc.

From a design standpoint there are several ways of representing them in Chief.  One way is to just use a concrete wall and add joints.  Another way would be to use a "transparent wall" and place solid panels within the confines of those walls.  However, as I stated above the engineering details are not going to be automatic.

Have you actually seen a "Professionally Drawn Library" of precast concrete panels?

1 minute ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Have you actually seen a "Professionally Drawn Library" of precast concrete panels?

Revit has a 'Precast' tab/module. Can't say much about it since I do not have that application, but it's easy to find search results for that one.

And yes, I agree it would need to go through real architects/engineers (as opposed to a DIY like myself) for any real construction drawing value.

I was just wanting to play around drawing stuff.

On 2/8/2021 at 4:45 PM, Joe_Carrick said:

One way is to just use a concrete wall and add joints.

Can you please explain this or send me in a direction where I could find more info on this?  I have to model a precast shop and would like to have the joints from the panels show and possibly even have different color panels.  Not sure what would be the easiest way to get this done.  

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Char91
    Newest Member
    Char91

• By AKnightClark
      Brand new user here! First question: Is there a specific order in which the tutorial videos should be watched to learn with a better A to Z process? I'm watching a ton, but they are not in a helpful order, so I'm taking 2 steps forward, 3 steps back, making error that I have to correct, etc.

As for this particular topic, are there specific tutorials for creating a slab foundation that extends over a sloped terrain? I'm looking to make the footers, foundation walls, and slab. I've attached a screenshot from a CA video (unrelated) that shows the end result I'm looking for, as well as my work showing a floating slab.

• By Haskellf
      In South Florida, homes are prominently constructed out of concrete blocks, metal studs & beams, concrete headers/lentils/beams, and wooden trusses. Which software would you recommend that would be best suited for concrete home construction? 
      Also, I can't find any training videos for CA that uses concrete blocks and therefore I wanted to ask you all if you know of any videos or tutorials for CA... Or maybe one of the aforementioned software would be better suited for concrete block construction?
    • By Don_Straub_Const
      I am drawing an outside stairway to the upstairs for an entrance of a duplex. How can I change the decking to be concrete? i can edit the beams and posts to be iron and the stairs and the railings but the decking I have not figured out how to edit.
    • By rlackore
      X7 Hollowcore Plank library with four subfolders:

1. CAD Sections. These are CAD cross-sections; each section is a CAD Block consisting of a perimeter shape and individual voids. Insert layer is CAD, Default.
      2. Face Sections. These are the CAD cross-sections saved as a 3D Face to allow creating custom length extrusions; just explode the Architectural Block, select the face, and extrude. You could easily extract these faces from the solids (see #3), but I've included them for convenience. Insert layer is Slabs.
      3. Solids (Architectural Blocks). These are solids saved as Architectural Blocks; the intent is to provide something that can be trimmed with another solid to allow creating planks with cut ends or holes. Insert layer is Slabs.
      4. Symbols. These are the solids converted to a symbol to allow for easy stretching in the depth direction to provide planks of varying lengths. Insert layer is Slabs.

Using a combination of these types you should be able to create almost any plank layout you need.

Hollowcore Plank.calibz