Shipping Container house

neo2222

I am trying to draw a shipping container house where there are 2 containers on top of 1 container and pilings.  Really having a difficult time.  

Im trying to put layer one as the base container,  layer 2 has 2 containers.  I tried putting layer one with the main house of 2 containers,..  then build foundation of pilings,  ...then tried to add the foundation container,  where one side of each main house container sits on top of the foundation container..  From the end,  it looks like a T.

Has any one actually been able to draw a shipping container house?  I tried using the CA models,  but you dont have workable walls.  

• Downvote 1

9 hours ago, neo2222 said:

Has any one actually been able to draw a shipping container house?  I tried using the CA models,  but you dont have workable walls.

In order to get workable walls you'll have to very carefully model the shipping containers using very custom wall types, room definitions, etc. You can also model your shipping containers without the parametric tools by just using solids, or you could do a combination of methods.  You won't simply be able to use a shipping container symbol though and you won't be able to use your normal everyday modeling techniques.  It's entirely doable but pretty difficult if you're not very proficient with the software.  It's just not something Chief was specifically designed to do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pawlakk said:

I heartily recommend container houses, it is really a great thing !

Yes highly recommended unless you need to pass the structure through a city's engineering department because as soon as you cut a hole in any wall that wall becomes structurally compromised and another, separate, super structure needs to replace that compromised structure. In a back yard with no inspections? Golden. In a regulated city environment? A real challenge.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

Yes highly recommended unless you need to pass the structure through a city's engineering department because as soon as you cut a hole in any wall that wall becomes structurally compromised and another, separate, super structure needs to replace that compromised structure. In a back yard with no inspections? Golden. In a regulated city environment? A real challenge.

looks nice,  but the company is in Poland

• 3 months later...
9 hours ago, LouisD said:

I’m thinking to build a house using shipping containers.

It’s really the dumbest idea ever. 

You need to build out furred walls on the interior to run wiring, piping etc. 

You need to add furring on the outside to add air space and insulation onto which you need to add exterior cladding. 

You still need a decent slab to place them on. 

Give me one advantage. And don’t say, because they look cute or they are a recycled product, they’re not as most municipalities will only accept new containers for residential use. 

So what’s the point?  What did you save?

Somewhere, somebody is laughing their ass off. 

I’d expect to see this idea get traction on a diy website normally focused on papier-mâché but here?!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I actually designed a shipping container building in La Jolla CA (San Diego) and got it passed through the city. The container itself lost ALL of its structural integrity as we cut doors and windows and required an exterior steel exoskeleton to replace that lost structural integrity. Expensive and all around a silly adventure (never mind down right ugly) other than the homeowner who loved the idea, but not the reality. Throw one in your back yard out in the country for a shop but build one in the city? Best of luck and would love to learn your experience.

15 hours ago, John_Charles said:

...Was a big undertaking and enormously expensive.  Would I ever recommend it to anyone? No.... but it does have its place....

IMG_3591.JPG

Holy Cow! The only place I've seen that style of 

construction is at the Colorado Supermax prison. :o

CSMax.thumb.jpg.05041203c787d659d8b525f225f0b535.jpg

Well, I live very close to the original shipping container model housing complex, Habitat 67 in Montreal. 

Originally conceived as a solution to affordable housing, was a complete failure in that respect because it cost a fortune to build. Still a neat design, though. Credit to the architect. 

This is what happens when architects and city officials get together to figure things out in a bubble.  Had they just asked any of their contractors they would’ve first laughed off their chairs and then told them why it was a dumb idea. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habitat_67

• Downvote 1

Habitat is not made from shipping containers. (Unless they were making containers from precast concrete in '67.)

I cant imagine why anyone would want to live in a shipping container. The proportions are terrible for living spaces. To rectify that you must modify/customize them beyond what any reasonable logic would allow. Insulation? Windows? Doors? I guess if you get the freezer unit your AC in taken care of.

To totally contradict myself, I have always liked Snake Ranch. It is a a shipping container cabin designed to be packed with everything needed to build it and air lifted to some remote location. https://thomortiz.tumblr.com/post/143108198216/jones-partners-architecture-wes-jones

tumblr_nrww71rdgF1rpjg5ho1_1280.jpg

• 1 year later...
On 2/15/2021 at 10:14 PM, Kenoeightspot said:

Define your walls based on container wall corrugation thickness, insulation and finish material.

Find images of Shipping Containers and convert to material and apply to your walls.

CONTAINER IMAGE.PNG

Hey William,

Would you mind sharing your shipping container materials or images? I can't seem to find a good quality free ones online.

Thanks!