Computer Speed Question

Korel_Design

I've notice as my project and CA Plan File grows, my computer seems to slow down. I have a MSI MAG Z3990M Mortar i9-9900K CPU @9.60GHz with 32GB RAM. GPU is a GeForce NVIDIA RTX 2080 Ti. I've order a 64GB RAM Upgrade kit hoping to speed things up a little. My CA.PLAN file is now at 25MB. Example, when editing a roof, when I click on a roof edge it takes a few seconds for it to select the edge. Then after the edit, a few seconds for it to complete the edit. It's aggravating waiting on it.

Wow.  I don't see how you could possibly be experiencing lag with those computer specs and a 25MB plan file.  I am wondering if you have some plan corruption or if it is consistent across many plan files of  a similar size ?   The other thing you should be listing for the experts to respond to would be the hard drive you are running chief on.

5 hours ago, Korel_Design said:

I've notice as my project and CA Plan File grows, my computer seems to slow down. I have a MSI MAG Z3990M Mortar i9-9900K CPU @9.60GHz with 32GB RAM. GPU is a GeForce NVIDIA RTX 2080 Ti. I've order a 64GB RAM Upgrade kit hoping to speed things up a little. My CA.PLAN file is now at 25MB. Example, when editing a roof, when I click on a roof edge it takes a few seconds for it to select the edge. Then after the edit, a few seconds for it to complete the edit. It's aggravating waiting on it.

Not sure you need the 64 GB Ram kit, I don't think I have ever seen anyone reporting chief using more than 32GB,

your Specs sound pretty good and should be fine for X13 as well.

And as Michael mention 9.60 is a bit of a typo ...the i9900K is a 5.3ghz part under Boost , and still a good Chip.

it is possible the computer maybe thermal throttling ( protecting itself) and may need Servicing,

still under warranty ? get them to look at it....

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MAG-Z390M-MORTAR

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/processors/core/i9-processors/i9-10900k.html

M.

I really don't think increasing your RAM to 64GB will make any difference, CA is not overly demanding on RAM and your 32GB is more than adequate. I think you should  check to make sure you don't have some extremely high face count items in there. If for example you have many 3D plants in your plan things will slow down. What type of camera view are you using when making the change? The slowest view type is the PBR camera, standard view can slow down if you have lots of lights turned on, sun follows camera, reflections, etc, try turning these off as they are not really needed when working on your structure. The other thing to check is the camera type being used to display items in their Dialog DBX or when selecting library objects, this is dictated by the default settings for the floor camera. These views are just small camera views and are also affected by settings such as mentioned in the previous sentence.

To check basic system performance you can open up the Windows Task Manger and click on the Performance Tab. This will show you things concerning CPU usage & speed, Drive usage, Memory usage and Graphics usage. See if something in there seems odd. Also, in Task Manager, click the Processes Tab, Click on CPU, this will show you all the processes according to %CPU usage, check to make sure there is not some other process/program running that is eating up your CPU. Typically if you are not doing anything the CPU usage should be only be 2 - 4 percent. If significantly higher look to see the program/process that's causing the increase, antivirus/security programs or auto-backup programs can impact on CPU usage.

The other thing to check is to make certain your system is using it's dedicated graphics card all of the time. In the Task Manager, Processes Tab, scroll to the right and you will see a heading GPU Engine, do some activities on your system and watch this column, your dedicated graphics card will be identified as GPU 1, if there are times when you see GPU 0 showing up or it only shows GPU 0 then your system is not fully recognizing the discrete graphics card. This will result in slower performance as the integrated graphics with your I9-9900k is slower than the dedicated graphics, especially in 3D camera views.

Jerry, can you post the plan, or a link to same, to see if others experience the same slow downs? I've had a couple plans, and am working on one now, that will just get slow as they get more complicated. More RAM will most likely not help and even more CPU and video card may not help as was the case with a previous file of mine but you've got a lot of computer muscle and the file is not that large so hopefully it's something that can be changed as the frustration with slow downs can be a real pain.

Typo Yes . . . 3.6 and not 9.6.

One thing I did notice, if I have numerous cameras open, that seems to slow things down. 

No lights on (yet). No 3D plants. (yet)

Thanks everybody. Plenty of advice and things to check here.

When I chose this machine I chose not to get cheap here. This machine is very popular with the 3D gamers for its "Speed". That was about 3 years ago and you know how it goes. Six months later it was yesterday's top of the line computer.

Hard Drive is: Seagate Desktop HDD ST2000DM001 2TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

I've been thinking of calling my Computer Nerd and clone my HD to a SDD if he would agree that would be a good thing.

I had an anti-virus program once (Norton I believe) that cause a similar problem with a different CAD program. Some sort of update they did suddenly started messing with my computer - point is, it could be another program running in the background thats causing the issue.

14 minutes ago, Korel_Design said:

Typo Yes . . . 3.6 and not 9.6.

So for a lot of operations in Chief I am not sure that your processer will actually out preform mine even though you have double the number of cores.  In fact that may actually be a handicap even though it should not be.

Years ago I put my processer up in a head to head competition with a buddy that was complaining about plan performance in Chief and he had an overclocked industrial Xeon setup in his system.  There was no way I could ray trace and keep up with him but beat him hands down with a lot of basic operations in Chief.

14 minutes ago, Korel_Design said:

Hard Drive is: Seagate Desktop HDD ST2000DM001 2TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

I've been thinking of calling my Computer Nerd and clone my HD to a SDD if he would agree that would be a good thing.

That is most likely your choke point right there.  See what your mother board will handle and get the fastest SSD you can upgrade to and you will most likely notice quite a difference.

11 minutes ago, Korel_Design said:

One thing I did notice, if I have numerous cameras open, that seems to slow things down. 

What are the specs of your graphics card?

When a change is made these changes will need to be reflected in all active views, each view will take some amount of time so there will become a point that the totality of updating these views could result in a noticeable slowing down. Also, certain changes, typically primary structural changes take longer to process than some other types of changes. This is also impacted by your auto-build settings, the more CA has to build the longer it takes.

3 hours ago, Korel_Design said:

Very good...... bit surprised it doesn't have a NVME SSD already ......a 500GB is likely enough for OS and programs but i suggest you get 1TB , the 2TB HDD will become a DATA drive.

eg  the Samsung 970 EVO Plus  ( the Pro is not worth the extra in my opinion )

since you mention doing manual roof manipulation , I suspect the slowness now is your HDD, as chief is having to write the UNDO file to disk every time you make a change , and a PCIe NVME SSD should help alot as it is10-20X faster at least than a HDD   ( a NVME SSD is 5x faster than  SATA SSD too )

• Like 1

I've been thinking of making use of the M.2 SSD that's available, for what I understand, it's right in the bus and the read/write is much faster. I also edit videos and that is a resource hog.

The page Dermot shared has a lot of good information. Thank you for that.

1 hour ago, Korel_Design said:

I've been thinking of making use of the M.2 SSD that's available, for what I understand, it's right in the bus and the read/write is much faster.

Yes that MB has (2) m2 slots which is why I was surprised you didn't already have one, just make sure to get a NVME m2 not a SATA m2 Drive , some m2 slots can take either but the SATA version is 5X-7X slower ...  ie about 500mbs vs 3500mbs( but Cheaper)

M.

On 2/8/2021 at 7:35 AM, Korel_Design said:

On 2/8/2021 at 7:44 AM, Chopsaw said:

That is most likely your choke point right there.  See what your mother board will handle and get the fastest SSD you can upgrade to and you will most likely notice quite a difference.

22 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Very good...... bit surprised it doesn't have a NVME SSD already ......a 500GB is likely enough for OS and programs but i suggest you get 1TB

I concur.  In my experience, upgrading to an SSD is one of the best things anyone can do.  When I did this to my last machine, it made a HUGE difference with the speed of just about everything.