How Do I Hide The Walls On A Auto Dormer?

Nicinus

I would like to hide these side walls in my plan views for readability, but the walls stay when I disable the auto dormer layer and they can't be selected even though they are on the walls, exterior layer.

The only way I can imagine would be to select all the other walls and put them on another layer so that I can hide this one, but that seems far fetched. There's gotta be another way?

I would like to hide these side walls in my plan views for readability, but the walls stay when I disable the auto dormer layer and they can't be selected even though they are on the walls, exterior layer.

The only way I can imagine would be to select all the other walls and put them on another layer so that I can hide this one, but that seems far fetched. There's gotta be another way?

I would suggest you watch my DORMER VIDEOS at CHIEFTUTOR.COM to fully understand all of the possibilities.  

I would suggest you watch my DORMER VIDEOS at CHIEFTUTOR.COM to fully understand all of the possibilities.  

Scott, I love those videos, it's almost like you are experimenting your way to the solution, but you sure hide some of the nuggets. Your series on dormers alone is 10 parts, so I have to save those until I have a bit more time than during the day.

I don't remember if auto dormers have a wall type spec dbx, but if they do you can copy a wall definition and change its appearance in plan. That is also how I do cheek walls on manual dormers.

They don't seem to, and they are not selectable.

I did that but lost the front wall, but that may have been another issue when I was doodling around.

If I do that and move those walls to another layer, can I block it again or the intelligence is lost? I'm still moving it around and tweaking the exact size so I would like to keep them auto for now, and there are three of them.

Well, after continuing to doodle with this my conclusion is that you can't hide the side walls in plan view if you use auto dormers, as A) the walls are on the regular walls layer together with all the rest and B/  I can't select them without exploding them and therefore I can't put them on their own layer. If I explode them I loose the Auto functionality. Needless to say I feel this is deficiency in the program that needs to be corrected. 

For the suggestion box, but I can't see why a wall type can't be assigned to a layer in the defaults? That way I could automatically place all my interior walls on 'Walls, interior' and in this case a dedicated wall type in 'Walls, dormers'. 

I think the idea of Auto dormers is really just to get the walls where you want them, then explode it for further changes. I really just use the auto dormers just for a start, and adjust from there.

Fair enough, I'll do that in the future then.