GRAPHICS CARDS

raltd9245

The level of graphics card you need is highly dependent upon one consideration, do you need or want the ability to Real Time Ray Trace in the upcoming X13. If so then an RTX 3070 or even better an RTX 3080 is likely what you will need, if not then your choice is much broader. From my recollection this is the first time that a single feature dictate's a very specific hardware choice. If possible I would wait a while to see how this pans out, especially considering the supply situation where you are likely going to pay a premium if you want one right away.

A graphics card more powerful than a Nvidia 1050 Ti is rarer than a leprechaun's pot of gold...and might cost you as much. The RTX cards are being sold on the secondary market (read scalpers) from 140% (3090) to 210% (3080) higher than MSRP according to a analysis done by Paul's Hardware. And the unfortunate part is there isn't really any relief in sight as scalpers are making plenty of profit, so that means demand will stay high, along with the chip foundries being constrained and prioritizing other industries like automotive instead of graphics cards.  

Probably the best path to get one of the mid-tier RTX cards is in a prebuilt system from one of the large OEMs...they obviously have more leverage in the supply chain and less susceptible to bot purchases. 

10 hours ago, John_Charles said:

I've seen cards do well at low spec because they have eg 10Gb RAM...

Would it be possible to expand a bit on this? The reason I ask is I'm not really aware of any low spec Graphics Cards with 10GB of RAM and from testing reviews the only time RAM has an impact is if the scene being generated exceeds the cards on board RAM. This of course would be applicable to any card regardless of the GPU Spec.