John_Charles

FOR THE EXPERTS - Lumion Vs TwinMotion Vs Thea Vs Vray?

Hi All

I'm wanting to produce photo realistic images of interiors and exteriors for use in marketing brochures etc for a number of projects we have coming up.  I have spent hours and hours watching youtube video's of what each program does / produces, read post after post here in ChiefTalk and have a few weeks to get myself up to speed on the use of whatever I choose.... Not interested in panoramas, phasing or motion scenes.

For what I'm looking for, Lumion seems to be the way to go in the render output and features I'm chasing..... problem is I'm loathe to spend over $3,500 on a render software.

I've looked at Thea and Twinmotion, and they are both fairly weak in internal renders / output from what I can see.  Thea is a lot like Photoshop which I'm familiar with but even so the learning curve seems massive (particularly after watching rennerrabbit vids).  I've yet to find any decent internal renders on Twinmotion.

Vray is a plugin and as we are using Chief, that doesn't seem to me to be an option.

Can I ask the experienced renderers here, am I just going to have to outlay the $$$$$ or am I missing something here? 

Cheers

10 hours ago, John_Charles said:

Hi All

I'm wanting to produce photo realistic images of interiors and exteriors for use in marketing brochures etc for a number of projects we have coming up.  I have spent hours and hours watching youtube video's of what each program does / produces, read post after post here in ChiefTalk and have a few weeks to get myself up to speed on the use of whatever I choose.... Not interested in panoramas, phasing or motion scenes.

For what I'm looking for, Lumion seems to be the way to go in the render output and features I'm chasing..... problem is I'm loathe to spend over $3,500 on a render software.

I've looked at Thea and Twinmotion, and they are both fairly weak in internal renders / output from what I can see.  Thea is a lot like Photoshop which I'm familiar with but even so the learning curve seems massive (particularly after watching rennerrabbit vids).  I've yet to find any decent internal renders on Twinmotion.

Vray is a plugin and as we are using Chief, that doesn't seem to me to be an option.

Can I ask the experienced renderers here, am I just going to have to outlay the $$$$$ or am I missing something here? 

Cheers

Before you spend a large sum on another rendering program, I would suggest that you take the time to learn all the functions that Chief's RayTrace option provides. While the results it produces may not quite up to the level I've seen from other rendering programs, I've been able to get some very nice images. Here are some examples:

1315357509_DR-743Ipe.thumb.jpg.70fe4a404f7573b4b5ee21ee4bd0b131.jpg779285849_LivingRoom-Modern02-RTa.thumb.jpg.eb0af549f9794c479b69dbcbff45c7cd.jpg741073641_UrbanLRDR01RT.thumb.jpg.72636173cea07befab5b02bbf1b1251c.jpg

Eric

What is a good website to trust with downloading 3D images of people, cars and products that look real. Also what is the file type that works best with Chief Architect Premier X12 as far as 3D imports. Is there a good website that has a great rep for 3D images that works well with Chief!

If you have upcoming projects that can justify the cost of Lumion, I would probably pull the trigger on it. What it lacks in render quality vs V-Ray, Thea etc, it more than makes up for it in regards to the easy learning curve and the quick rendering times. 

As an alternative, I would look into D5 Render. It's a fraction of the cost, and is capable of producing some pretty impressive renders. The only thing that's holding me back from switching over from Lumion is the short list of supported file formats. However, they are currently working on increasing that list and should be implemented in the next release (1.9?). 

33 minutes ago, DavidJames said:

If you have upcoming projects that can justify the cost of Lumion, I would probably pull the trigger on it. What it lacks in render quality vs V-Ray, Thea etc, it more than makes up for it in regards to the easy learning curve and the quick rendering times. 

As an alternative, I would look into D5 Render. It's a fraction of the cost, and is capable of producing some pretty impressive renders. The only thing that's holding me back from switching over from Lumion is the short list of supported file formats. However, they are currently working on increasing that list and should be implemented in the next release (1.9?). 

that looks interesting.... are you using D5 (ie getting it to work with Chief)?

RE Lumion, are you using Pro or standard?  I'm considering just the standard version from a cost point but they restrict the assets to 1/3rd so not sure if that is a smart move if it applies to textures....

1 hour ago, ericepv said:

Before you spend a large sum on another rendering program, I would suggest that you take the time to learn all the functions that Chief's RayTrace option provides. While the results it produces may not quite up to the level I've seen from other rendering programs, I've been able to get some very nice images. Here are some examples:

Eric

Thanks Eric.  I'm already using the Ray Tracing but the output isn't good enough / realistic enough for the projects I need it for.

Those are great looking renderings. If you can justify the cost, it would certainly be worth it.

58 minutes ago, John_Charles said:

that looks interesting.... are you using D5 (ie getting it to work with Chief)?

RE Lumion, are you using Pro or standard?  I'm considering just the standard version from a cost point but they restrict the assets to 1/3rd so not sure if that is a smart move if it applies to textures....

At the moment I'm strictly using Lumion Pro (version 10). I decided to skip Lumion 11 as the added features didn't justify the cost in my opinion. 

At the moment, I think D5 only supports FBX and SKP imports. Once they add .DAE to that list, I think I'll make the switch over. 

Here's a quick sample of a render I did in Lumion: 

Dining Area.jpg

1 minute ago, DavidJames said:

At the moment I'm strictly using Lumion Pro (version 10). I decided to skip Lumion 11 as the added features didn't justify the cost in my opinion. 

At the moment, I think D5 only supports FBX and SKP imports. Once they add .DAE to that list, I think I'll make the switch over. 

Here's a quick sample of a render I did in Lumion: 

Dining Area.jpg

Yes I saw that in one of your older posts...... I see on the Lumion forum people sell older licenses...... do you think there are enough assets and features with 10 Pro to generate the images I shared above?

• Upvote 1

There's a boat-load of assets within Lumion 10 PRO so you should be able to produce something similar. 

One thing to keep in mind is that one of the reasons your sample interior image looks so realistic is that the assets are 100% custom/Third Party. There also seems to be some post production work that went into it (photoshop etc).

Hello David, I am purchasing Lumion and I am looking to purchase a computer to run it on and I would like to know what type, or the exact Computer that you use to run Lumion? I have a total of $2,300.00 so is there a particular computer that I should buy. 

On 2/27/2021 at 2:57 PM, RozierDesigner said:

Hello David, I am purchasing Lumion and I am looking to purchase a computer to run it on and I would like to know what type, or the exact Computer that you use to run Lumion? I have a total of $2,300.00 so is there a particular computer that I should buy. 

Congrats on the purchase! You're going to love the software for arch viz. 

Here are the specs of the system that I custom built roughly 3 years ago that still works incredibly well with all of today's software: 

CPU: Intel i7 7820x (8 Cores, 16 Threads) 
Cooling: Noctua NH-D15
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 X 8G
Motherboard: MSI X299 Tomahawk 
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance (2400mhz) 
Hard Drive (Main): Samsung Evo 850 1TB (Solid State) 
Hard Drive (Storage): Western Digital Blue 64MB 2TB
Power Supply: EVGA 750W GQ 80+ Gold
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) 

If I were to build a system today, I would probably build one that looks something like this: 

CPU: Ryzen 5900X  (12 Core - 24 Threads) 

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15
Video Card: GeForce RTX 3070 (I prefer MSI branded, but any should be fine)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550M 
RAM: 32GB @ 3600MHz (Brand of your choosing) 

Hard Drive (Main): Samsung Evo Pro 860 1TB (Solid State) 

Hard Drive (Storage): Western Digital Blue 2TB (Or any of your choosing)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750 Gold (Or equivalent) 

That should bring you to around $1900 USD which should leave you enough room for a case of your choosing and windows 10 pro. 

Thanks I did buy a Dell Alienware R11 with a 3080, 32 ram, 1 TB hard drive, intel  i9 with 10 core and 10 Gb graphics card. I paid a total of $2,800.00 with the monitor and warranty from Microcenter