Importing Electrical Fixture

stager386

Hello. Trying to import a lighting fixture and having trouble with it. Seems I need to choose between it being a fixture and an electrical symbol.  If I get it to look right and behave well, it contains no light data. If it is an electric symbol, I can't move it around and get it positioned properly.  What am I doing wrong?  Here is the .skp file I downloaded.  Thank you!

Nova+L+Sconce+with+Opal+Shade+NB (1).skp

190876315_CAHelp.thumb.jpg.bda5953e17fcbac769f0bfa95bee150f.jpg

The light fixture on the left is a fixture, and allows me to position it properly. But there is no light data. The one on the right I have as an electrical item, and I can get light data but can't manipulate it. I imported this from 3D Warehouse. I can't seem to send the plan, it's too big even zipped.

Those are totally different tools with different purposes.

File>Import 3D Symbol is the tool to use if you want to bring in a 3D model from some other program such as sketchup.

Library>Import Library is the tool to use if you want to bring in a custom library symbol(s) that has already been converted into a Chief Architect symbol.

BTW, right-clicking on the User Catalog and using the New>3D Symbol tool should work basically the same as Import 3D Symbol.

I believe Eric just used the Import 3D Symbol tool and made all of the changes necessary to create a proper Chief electrical light and then exported it as a Chief library object.  He basically did all of the work for you.  

The symbol you were trying to import needed to be imported as a Electrical symbol.  You need to use the Advanced Options so that you could rotate it about the z-axis and adjust the origin offsets so that it will sit on the wall correctly.  It really helps to turn on the axis indicators to see what you are doing.  You also need to set it as Wall Mounted and as a Light on the Options panel.

More info about importing symbols can be found here:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/5305/importing-symbols.html?playlist=108

Learn how to import a Sketchup file specifying it as an electrical symbol, which when choosing to enable advanced features, allows the addition of light sources.  Here is me about to import a symbol called paddle rack as an electrical fixture, and I selected advanced features.

My paddle rack is in no way a light fixture, but Chief doesn't care.  I can add all the point lights and spot lights to it I wish.

To demo this "Chief doesn't care" thing, I once imported a Sketchup model of a Winchester model 94 deer rifle and made it a millwork symbol and then showed it as balusters in a stair railing.  30-30s all up the staircase.  Cool.

2021-02-05 12_26_19-Import 3D Symbol.png