Turret Entry Techniques?

HumbleChief

Is there a way to draw a complete circle with the curved wall tool? I can get close but then have to draw a supplemental wall to complete the circle. Trying to create a turret entry about 20 feet high but am stymied at this point and the 2 walls for the circle seem to be messing me up. Can't post the proprietary plan at this time but thought maybe others had experience with same? 

EDIT: Changed the title as I am having no luck with a turret entry. Is it doable?

Also wondering if you would use a second floor for the higher turret or just raise the ceiling of the first floor within the turret?

13 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Is there a way to draw a complete circle with the curved wall tool? I can get close but then have to draw a supplemental wall to complete the circle. Trying to create a turret entry about 20 feet high but am stymied at this point and the 2 walls for the circle seem to be messing me up. Can't post the proprietary plan at this time but thought maybe others had experience with same? 

EDIT: Also wondering if you would use a second floor for the higher turret or just raise the ceiling of the first floor within the turret?

Obviously, you can use (2) 180 degree curverd walls to complete the circle.  Can you explain how they are "messing you up"?

10 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Obviously, you can use (2) 180 degree curverd walls to complete the circle.  Can you explain how they are "messing you up"?

Thanks Joe, my skills are 'obviously' lacking in some regards and that worked great. I've attached a simple plan that shows the framing and the 'messed up' framing or roof connection in a turret entry. This plan is with a first floor higher ceiling and am just a bit lost as I've never tackled a turret entry before.

TURRET PLAN 1.plan

TURRET 1.png

7 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

I think it's a setting "Roof Cuts Wall at Bottom" or similar.  You will likely need to frame the walls also to get it to work correctly.

I don't have time to study it right now but maybe someone else will chime in.

Thank you Joe. I'm getting closer with some searching. Found the "Segment Angle at Curved Wall:" setting and the "Min Alcove Size" setting which has helped in a couple of areas.

Still not great and see a lot of work ahead to reproduce something like the attached pics.

TURRET ENTRY 1.jpg

TURRET ENTRY 4.jpg

1 minute ago, SNestor said:

@HumbleChief - I attempted to get your plan to work...but, no luck. However, I opened my template and I was able with auto rebuild roofs to achieve what you are attempting...so, might be something with your plan/template?

2021-02-04_13-16-13.thumb.png.aedba5b4b4b6f11392a3c477003865ed.png 2021-02-04_13-18-24.thumb.png.5ae34be8a2fa0a18bc0ede8c5a215659.png

THANK YOU Steve. VERY interesting. I've messed with wall defs in defaults and other things that might be messing things up in my template. I'll check. Curious did you use a second floor? Are the walls on the first floor invisible or did you check the interior view? Or is that a single floor with a higher ceiling? Does the interior open only to above? Perhaps I could check your plan?

Thank you again.

3 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

Second floor seems to be the only real option

Didn't mess around with this but I believe from a similar situation that the key would be to not use attic walls between so thus having a balloon framed wall if not the second story or the walls around the first floor main roof get messed up with the faceting.

Just now, rgardner said:

Didn't mess around with this but I believe from a similar situation that the key would be to not use attic walls between so thus having a balloon framed wall if not the second story or the walls around the first floor main roof get messed up with the faceting.

Thanks Ryan will keep that in mind.

Larry,

i think the reason for the messed up walls in your original plan is the different faceting between the curved roof edge and the curved wall.

The curved wall is a lot smoother curve than the curved roof edge.

This is causing the curved roof edge (made up of straight sections) to cut into the wall layers.

17 hours ago, glennw said:

Larry,

i think the reason for the messed up walls in your original plan is the different faceting between the curved roof edge and the curved wall.

The curved wall is a lot smoother curve than the curved roof edge.

This is causing the curved roof edge (made up of straight sections) to cut into the wall layers.

Thanks Glenn, AND the roof frames to inside of the wall above roof plane instead of the outside edge when a single floor is used. A second floor solves that and the roof frames completely differently.

Here's a shot of a roof plane framing to the inside wall of the wall above the roof plane. Seems like it simply cannot be done with a single floor. The turret in the background has a second floor.

TURRET 5.png

TURRET 6.png

2 hours ago, dshall said:

Larry,  try using a true curved polyline to create a true curve to that roof plane.  Do not use the segmented curve for roof plane.

just a guess.

Thanks Scott, the second floor option works great and not going to mess with the only one floor option. Have you ever tackled a tall turret like shown?

16 hours ago, dshall said:

Larry,  try using a true curved polyline to create a true curve to that roof plane.  Do not use the segmented curve for roof plane.

just a guess.

Fascinated by this idea as it might solve another challenge but can't find a way to "us(e) a true curved polyline to create a true curve to that roof plane." Is this possible?

WOW, this is proving to be an absolute nightmare. Maybe I can download the house plans for the image shown above advertising the Home Designer Suite? Clearly it shows that this type of building can be created in the software? Or can it? And mad props to you Mark for getting as far as you did with your design...

6 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

Fascinated by this idea as it might solve another challenge but can't find a way to "us(e) a true curved polyline to create a true curve to that roof plane." Is this possible? 

Sort of.  You have to use boolean operations (usually subtraction) to get a true arc onto a roof plane.  They don't behave when they're true arcs though and you still need to Convert Curve to Polyline. 

By the way, Glenn hinted at it earlier, but it would really help if you were to adjust your Segment Angle at Curved Wall in your Build Roof dialog.  Turn it all the way down. I think you can only set it to 6 but that will likely be enough.  Using the method I mentioned above you can go even lower but that would mean switching to manual roofs.