Trying to use Auto Roof Planes to build this one

KReads

I'm trying to ween myself off of drawing roof planes manually (as was suggested in a previous Q/A-ha ha) in favor of using automatic. In this case I have a couple of wall bump outs that are giving me fits. I've tried adding invisible walls and changing gable settings. I'll bet its a really simple fix but I haven't been able to crack that nut. Anybody care to try to make adjustments necessary to make the roof automatically on this plan? (Desired roof.zip). I appreciate even hints!

Here's the auto roof result:

1946928012_Autoroof.thumb.PNG.8ebd259d20276dd9d1f05b18eae517a2.PNG

And here's the desired roof:

684858900_Desiredroof.thumb.PNG.3b3b99d837649ecf66fc8236fcc7750e.PNG

I'm barely adequate at roofs, but do like to practice as I'm in the same boat as you (trying to really work on setting up auto roofs well).  Do you want to post the specific plan your working on?  It's hard for me to tell if the near-side wall has a lower plate line than the far-side.  I'll give setting it up a shot.

Mark3D:  Thank you for the effort.  I've been trying to reverse engineer what you did to get it that far but I can't reproduce it on my plan after substantial trying. I made the two obvious changes on my plan but it doesn't seem to effect the roof.  I've cleared my plan of most everything except the exterior walls for testing Driftwood Plan 1.09 (Test plan).plan.  Could you share exactly what you did to get the auto build to where you got it?

Here's the two changes that I saw:

1703023008_twoadjustmentsmade.thumb.PNG.d5c2d8f5ced37a1aef7263cf8ce21e18.PNG

There are many many roofs in Chief that can easily be built using Auto Roof settings and others where manual involvement is just going to be required no matter what you do.  I think you picked one where building Auto is an exercise in futility and where manual is the way to go...at least after getting partway there. 

Also, just a side note, but I would strongly recommend against clearing your plan of everything and using a single room to find a solution.  Plans aren't typically modeled that way, so practicing that way is going to result in finding solutions that won't work in a real plan.  Take that invisible wall that was added above...That may or may not even be possible depending on where the interior walls actually land. 

I agree with Eric, this is not a project that an auto generated roof will complete.  You will blow hours tinkering with invisible walls and still get questionable results.

Here is one that I did by modifying the roof after getting an autobuild.  It was pretty easy to do and achieves what you were looking for.  

The siding was changed in my model so that you could tell which was mine and which was your original.

1733045401_LShapedSteppedRoofEave.thumb.jpg.9394baeadc90601992e5c6a17a6ba856.jpg

1668575055_Desiredroof-DN.plan

when ver 10 (not X10) was released I took CA's Intermediate class and the instructor

insisted that just about any roof could be auto-built

he then showed a few very complex roofs and how they were built auto

including an 1800's asylum with all kinds of roof planes and turrets etc

personally I only know how to do a few standard styles

anything beyond that my partner did and usually with a combo of auto and manual

Lew