roof plane/ wall issue

DianeP

I have this almost complete but the owner and truss company say this wall that is circled should go all the way up to the roof.  The back side of the wall (drywall) shows on the other side.  Is it possible for this wall to be done the way they say,  and if so, can you tell me what I need to do to fix it.  I tried just cosmetically fixing it with a slab with the brick on it, but  the wall seems too wide coming out of the roof.   Thanks!

image.thumb.png.f5577196d177eee850cd16c575623d18.png

Bobbie Welch Residence.plan

To do what you are asking to do, you would need to define a single layer brick attic wall and place it there.  However at some point you will need to decide where the water is going to go and what to do with it once it gets into the dining room.  Sorry but you are asking for trouble without rethinking the design.  Possibly a few modifications and a roof cricket would do it but not sure where to start right now.  Not really sure what is existing and what is new.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chopsaw said:

To do what you are asking to do, you would need to define a single layer brick attic wall and place it there.  However at some point you will need to decide where the water is going to go and what to do with it once it gets into the dining room.  Sorry but you are asking for trouble without rethinking the design.  Possibly a few modifications and a roof cricket would do it but not sure where to start right now.  Not really sure what is existing and what is new.

Sorry, I should have said this is a new build.

1 hour ago, 7654321 said:

Hope this helps ! , mostly done with auto roofs and ceiling heights changed at front of house.

See Roof Plan page 

Roof Plan check it out.plan

Thanks for your efforts,  That would work, but the client likes the more simplified roof the truss company came up with, so I am trying to replicate it. I think I will just let them know the issues I am having and tell them I can fix the plan cosmetically to match what they want, but there could be water issues.  

As an aside, I see you are from Lancaster.  I have a sister and her family that are in Rosamond.  Another sister is in Reseda,  I graduated from Newbury Park High in Newbury Park but live in Pensacola FL now.   Small world.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, solver said:

I moved the right hand column over to the right making its spacing the same from center as the far left one, and adjusted the roof so the overhangs were the same. Pulled the problem roof plane forward.

Somehow I knew you would be able to come up with something that would work.  Another good solution !

Here is the truss layout sheet from what the truss company designed that I am trying to duplicate.  Perhaps it just won't work the way they expect it to???  If you go to the roof plan view and turn on the CAD, Roofs LAYOUT PICTURE layer you will see where I copied the layout picture in to work with it.

BOBBY WELCH-1.pdf

BOBBY WELCH-2.pdf

BOBBY WELCH-3.pdf

1 hour ago, solver said:

I moved the right hand column over to the right making its spacing the same from center as the far left one, and adjusted the roof so the overhangs were the same. Pulled the problem roof plane forward.

ct0.thumb.png.0921cdbc0510d53e14d2aaecd5e3f9f9.png

Added some trim.

ht1.thumb.png.7d661e52b6e785ffff71f0c264dfc8ac.png

That house looks beautiful. Thanks for giving it a shot.   The truss company and client have the left hip roofs ridge continuing across the house so there is a longer horizontal ridge on the house.  I gave there truss sheets in another post.

6 minutes ago, DianeP said:

Here is the truss layout sheet from what the truss company designed that I am trying to duplicate.  Perhaps it just won't work the way they expect it to???

It is not that it will not work.  It is just that the truss company is only responsible for the roof not blowing off or falling in.

I am pretty sure that even in Pensacola it rains hard occasionally.

You might be able to modify Eric's idea just a bit and have the ridge of the entrance meet the left right ridge exactly and then relax the new right plane that intersects the garage to also top out at the original height of the main left right ridge.  Did that make sense ? 

Just now, Chopsaw said:

You might be able to modify Eric's idea just a bit and have the ridge of the entrance meet the left right ridge exactly and then relax the new right plane that intersects the garage to also top out at the original height of the main left right ridge.  Did that make sense ? 

Sorry I am having trouble understanding, I am feeling a little dense right now, so it isn't your fault.  Just overworked my brain the last several days.  It might rain sometimes in Pensacola, LoL,  like in Hurricane Sally or other ground soaking rains that last days where we end up with flooding issues.  Definitely need a  water tight house here. 

Eric's got a good solution.  I first thought a cricket would fix the drainage, but it won't.

The config Eric did elevated the plane above and right of the entry cupola, enough to stretch its bottom to the wall end.

What's the client want? The roof's gotta drain.

9 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

This still breaks a few rules but see what you and your client think.  It mostly maintains the original intent I think.

image.thumb.png.a1f461b6a6b8acacca10dc6a8a5cf071.pngimage.thumb.png.15814045853a5dced6588d9f3fed368c.png

I can give you the file as a reference but please don't use it as your master.

If you could send the file so I can compare the roof plane locations that would be great.  Thanks for your help!

Everyone taking about crickets and water issues etc. but nobody is mentioning that there needs to be a beam under that short wall to carry the brick. 
I get these conditions a lot in the homes I build. 

I’m actually thankful for these finishing anomalies in Chief because they are usually a red flag for something not built or designed right. 

You need a beam resting on your garage facade wall and span towards the back of the garage so the brick layer can build a short knee wall out of cement block to accommodate the brick veneer above the roof line. 

Of course as everyone mentions, waterproofing is delicate there but doable. 

• Upvote 1

@DianeP - I took some license and changed your front porch design just a bit.

Instead of a railing wall..I used a custom wall type with brick on 2 sides...I made this wall 19" wide...just like the columns you had on the original plan. I then used doorways to create the arched openings...no jamb or casing, then adjusted the width so that each column is 19x19. 

2021-02-04_21-27-14.thumb.png.30d378d10a547de695ebb5ce37d56a8b.png2021-02-04_21-23-18.thumb.png.ed6e9587e8d87ff824c34b9a4deeaa2a.png 

I changed some of the roof pitches... also. Take a look...maybe you can use some of the ideas...maybe not. Good luck with this project...very nice home.

1471628026_BobbieWelchResidence - Steve Edits 01.plan

• Upvote 1