Mechanical Room in bedroom?

mtldesigns

On a small house that I am wrapping up (760 sq. ft.), I have put the mechanical equipment in the attic.  Client want this on the main floor, accessed by either a bedroom or the bathroom.  Both HW and HVAC is electric, so no fumes per say, but the gut is telling me this isn't right (or is it?).  Looking through my pages of IFC and not really finding any info on this.   Any help from you pros...

Though codes will be different in your region I have not found anything in the codes I have access to that would preclude the mechanical room from being off of a bedroom. However I do agree that it may not be ideal, mainly from an access perspective for servicing the equipment. Is there no way to have the access off of a hallway?

Well after I asked the question, my gut still wouldn't allow me to put off the bedroom, so I did create a little space for it.  I had a hall laundry closet, that I stretched, pulled and moved around to get a utility space on the backside, I had to take away from the kitchen to do so though.  I am trying to convince client, to go with mini splits to get some of that area back or get a bigger laundry for a side by side WD (as it was when located in the closet).  I would think a 2 ton mini w heat pump would still be cheaper than a traditional HVAC unit.   

The house is 24' x 32'.

mechanical.JPG

I would think that the main problem with a mechanical room off the bedroom would be the operating cycle of the equipment disturbing sleep.  There is no building code prohibiting that location that I am aware of.  If diligent design work is done on improving the sound transmission index, it should work if there is no other reasonable location solution.

49 minutes ago, joey_martin said:

Warmer climate?

North Florida..  Greenville area.  

They have already purchased a 40 gallon elect WH... otherwise I would have suggested.  They've purchased a lot of things already, like the shower pan, fixtures, and I believe LP vertical panel siding, because he's animate about on using it. 

Thanks all for your suggestions and info.  Client loves the idea of the mini split, so will be moving WH to that niche, and getting her side by side back.  Moving forward to complete construction docs.

2 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

vents above the doors. laundry and equip room doors

I am going to add some vents in doors for the mini to recirc.

9 minutes ago, mtldesigns said:

I am going to add some vents in doors for the mini to recirc.

You can look at a ERV set to pull it's intake from the room with the mini and circulate it to the other rooms as well to use it as a hepa filtered central system as well.

30 minutes ago, rgardner said:

You can look at a ERV set to pull it's intake from the room with the mini and circulate it to the other rooms

How does that work Ryan?  Is it ducted via the attic?  I attached the floor plan (haven't move HVAC, WH or added Mini yet), but wanted to show arrangement.  The blue circle is where I had planned on for the mini.

floor plan mechanical.JPG

Just now, mtldesigns said:

How does that work Ryan?  Is it ducted via the attic?

Yes it is a ducted unit in the attic with depending on the unit 4-8" flex ducting with 1 inlet and usually up to 4 outlets.  Most use a hepa filter to filter the inlet as well so much more healthy distribution of the air as well.

Actually these are two 20 year old's.  They were looking for a tiny house, that you see on TV, but they realized those things are expensive..  so they went with the next best thing, a small build.  Just not portable.  They got some acreage and are going to live off the land as much as possible.  Couto's for having a dream and going for it.  Can't wait for my 28 year old to get her own place :D

2 hours ago, joey_martin said:

32" w/ enough room for swing-a-way hinges

I typically make my interior doors 32", as well (36" on customers request), but since they are young, they were going to go "tiny", and the space for a extra 2" does change things.  But since I've posted the plan, and updating the laundry, I have made all interior doors 30.

I ran into something similar a few months ago. A client wanted a mechanical room in the attic above his garage. The problem, this attic was adjacent to the master bedroom and the mechanical room would only be accessible from the bedroom. I looked through all the codes and remember finding something that stated it couln't be done, but I'll be damed if I can find it now.

I did find an article about why a water cannot be in a closet adjacent to a bedroom.....

Ideally, water heaters should be located near gas or electric service and where water supply and distribution lines can be easily installed. Ventilation is easier to achieve if the unit is located on an exterior wall. Water heaters can be installed in bedroom or bathroom closets, if necessary or preferred, but only if they're an electric, direct vent or sealed combustion chamber unit. Other water heaters that use fuel combustion are not permitted to be installed in bedrooms, bathrooms or closets that open into these rooms.

Edit:

I think I found it. Section 303.3 of the Fuel Gas Code. Appliances (furnace or water heater) shall not be located in a closet that is only accessible through a bedroom. Then look at exceptions in #5.

Screen Shot.JPG

Edited by CARMELHILL

9 hours ago, CARMELHILL said:

I ran into something similar a few months ago. A client wanted a mechanical room in the attic above his garage. The problem, this attic was adjacent to the master bedroom and the mechanical room would only be accessible from the bedroom. I looked through all the codes and remember finding something that stated it couln't be done, but I'll be damed if I can find it now.

I did find an article about why a water cannot be in a closet adjacent to a bedroom.....

Ideally, water heaters should be located near gas or electric service and where water supply and distribution lines can be easily installed. Ventilation is easier to achieve if the unit is located on an exterior wall. Water heaters can be installed in bedroom or bathroom closets, if necessary or preferred, but only if they're an electric, direct vent or sealed combustion chamber unit. Other water heaters that use fuel combustion are not permitted to be installed in bedrooms, bathrooms or closets that open into these rooms.

Edit:

I think I found it. Section 303.3 of the Fuel Gas Code. Appliances (furnace or water heater) shall not be located in a closet that is only accessible through a bedroom. Then look at exceptions in #5.

Screen Shot.JPG

Yes, but in Michael's example, the water heater is assessable from the hallway not the bedroom.

It was also mentioned that the water heater and heat pump are electrical.

The only thing that I can see in the new layout with the utility room accessed via the laundry room is whether or not there are any code related egress issues. Here in the UK there are very strict limitations on this to minimize being trapped in the event of a fire in another area of the home. In general a room without a means of direct egress can only egress to another room with direct egress or a protected hall with direct egress.