Cape Cod meets Coastal design

mtldesigns

I'm excited about this new project.  Going to be a design challenge, but fun.. and beautiful in the end.  House is being build in Cape San Blas FL, so it will be on concrete piers, ~15' above grade, 2 stories of living spaces, and then a crows nest on the roof.  A lot of challenges, and a lot of future questions on this forum as I get into it.  Architecture style is Cape Cod meats Coastal Living.  Client is from New Jersey.  

My first question, after you see the attached, is the exterior wall.  Clients wife loves this.. and I'd like to get as close to possible.  I can see the wall flares out near the bottom.  Obviously this is a roof plane.. so do I build up this roof plane as I would the wall dbx? In regards to the vertical wall.. is it vertical or a optical illusion from this picture?  My layout will not have such a tall wall, since we will be incorporating a lot of decking..  must have sight of the beautiful Gulf.   

Never have done a Cape Cod style before, wondering if any of you guys are experience on things I need to keep in consideration.  I got me a book of 'A field Guide to American Houses" that was recommended on a previous post. that I am going to look at today, but always will take advice from you pros.

img_4428 grab.JPG

IMG_3023.jpg

• Upvote 1

The Flare can be done more easily with a Molding Polyline and put around the whole home if needed with a Room molding polyline using the Exterior Room. Works pretty well with a bit of texture adjustment to make the shingles line up/match.

M.

image.thumb.png.928d48c4f6817133eaba9418b62de1aa.pngimage.thumb.png.64cf1006e2dacfa64cf7c2891e3c72a3.pngimage.thumb.png.9d618821c03ce892877659bca3e882b5.png

• Upvote 1