Can a garage model be copied the house.plan file?

Chris_CapeCod

I'm using chief X12 and wondering if the drawing model of my garage ( let's call it garage.plan ) can be copied into another .plan file (let's call it house.plan )? This way I will have the house and the garage on the same terrain to show how they look together.  If so, what is the best way to execute this?  

6 minutes ago, Chris_CapeCod said:

I'm using chief X12 and wondering if the drawing model of my garage ( let's call it garage.plan ) can be copied into another .plan file (let's call it house.plan )? This way I will have the house and the garage on the same terrain to show how they look together.  If so, what is the best way to execute this?  

Welcome to the forums.  You will hear this soon but please take the time to fill out your signature line with your specifics.  It will help others help you.

As far as your garage scenario it is very common.  This has been discussed many times on the forum.  Try searching for terrain, garage, model, symbol, etc.  The gist is you make a 3d symbol out of the garage and put it in your house plan file as a symbol on the terrain.  Keeps the model size smaller so as to not slow down your computer.

I would not do the symbol thing.
IMHO it is better to have everything in the same drawing, especially if it is only a house and a garage.

Try Edit Area All Floors with a copy/paste.

You may have to do a bit of editing, but it shouldn't take too long - not much longer than do the symbol thing. 

• Upvote 1

Thank you for reply.  I will research how to make a 3D symbol and try to bring it in that way.  I've been searching this forum for quite a while and unfortunately I was unable to find any posts similar to this one.  If you locate one, and can repost it here I would be very grateful.  If not, thank you all the same.

@Chris_CapeCod  I agree with Glenn with regard to using symbols in this particular situation, however the point Ryan made about model size can become an issue, so there is another way to do this besides using symbols, by using the Reference Display ability.  You can have two different plans but bring the garage in, in both plan view and 3D views.  Here's a Chief video to get you started  https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/5435/using-the-reference-display.html?playlist=100

Hi Chris:

I'm a fan of the symbol method

yet, I agree with Glenn that if buildings and terrain are "standard" then having all in one plan is a good choice

as the complexity of "things" increases then using the symbol method becomes a good choice

Lew

21 hours ago, Chris_CapeCod said:

Thank you for reply.  I will research how to make a 3D symbol and try to bring it in that way.  I've been searching this forum for quite a while and unfortunately I was unable to find any posts similar to this one.  If you locate one, and can repost it here I would be very grateful.  If not, thank you all the same.

This is the CA Symbol technique tutorial

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00344/modeling-a-subdivision-or-lot-with-multiple-structures.html

• Upvote 1