Tapered Structural Steel Columns/beams

DenisonDrywall

If you want them represented in 3D they will need to be built with p-solids.  You really only need to build one though as you can convert to as symbol or block and copy.

It looks like you already have all the cad snaps you need so it should be fairly straight forward drawn in elevation view.

i drew them all separate so that in plan they look like a w-shape, but the one side goes vertically (z axis) and the other side tapers on the z axis.  how do i get the one side to taper, but not the other?  then for the beams, both sides taper/angle at different angles (roof on one side)

3 hours ago, DenisonDrywall said:

What about girts?

Depending on what will be used and how accurate it needs to be, you can simply use a general framing member set to a c-channel to represent the girts. The first one you use can be set to its own layer, adjust its schedule settings, material,  and then copy and/or transform replicate as needed. You can do a whole building quite quickly this way. 

I have taken two channel beams to make a z-girt and when I resize it, keeping it to porportion, the width changes but not the height.  it says its changed but when you view it, its still the same, original height. it would work if it would be porpotional... should i be using a different method for girts?

girt.JPG

1 minute ago, joey_martin said:

You are probably changing the bounding box and not the actual symbol. What are your steps?

Yep.  My guess too.  

Need to Open Object and adjust Height/Width/Depth there...NOT Open Symbol (where we can only adjust how that symbol is treated when resized.  

i opened Object (the door not the pencil w/ chair) and changed size there. 

i ended up drawing a line in the shape of a z and turned it into a 3-d molding polyline with the c- channel shape and it seems to be working better than the two channel beams put together.

girt2.JPG