Can't get dimension to attach to framing post

jbonja

I am manually drawing a screened porch with 6 by 6 posts (drawn as Framing,posts).  I can't get my dimension lines to attach to the posts in a Cross Section/Elevation.  If I manually place they do not attach either.  Note screenshot, dimension picks up the railing which i do not want but will not locate on edges of posts.  I'm sure I'm missing something basic but I've searched help and all the dialog and nothing is popping out.

Thanks in advance.

image.thumb.png.f48fadf16e354888d8324eb087d3fe52.png

You could move your camera so that it cuts through the line of posts like is happening with your beams now or just create a cad detail from view and cut paste hold position the necessary components or all, back into your section view and dimension to the cad lines

This issue of not being able to snap a dimension line in a cross section or elevation view is sickening at this late stage of Chief’s development. 

An architectural drafting program that can’t locate stuff?

“Oh, but let’s develop some more new useless pretty-picture-stuff. We can sell more subscriptions that way. Screw our existing customers. 
Sounds good boss.” Overheard at a Chief developers meeting, possibly. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I tried the different "section" locations but that didn't make a difference, the posts just don't "exist" with respect to the dimension tool in this view. Seems to work fine in the floor view.

image.thumb.png.c959ffc641749eebe5eadb3f61d14717.png

I can do the manual and CAD stuff but I was hoping for live dimensions I could use to move the posts and that would move with them.  So basically other than a workaround, there is no way to do this?  What other structures are affected like this so I'm not frustrated trying to find a way in the future.

Ya, Chief doesn't provide a whole heck of a lot of snaps for the sub-elements of parametric objects.  To elaborate on what @Chopsaw suggested:

1. You can move your camera so it is cutting through the objects, dimension to the Cross Section Lines and then move the camera back.
  2. You can use a Vector View and generate a CAD Detail From View.  From there though, my approach would be a little different.  I would just dimension the desired objects and then Cut/Paste Hold Position the dimensions themselves.

In both cases, you'll have Point Markers to contend with.  Either reduce them to have a radius of zero or...my preferred method...put them onto their own unique layer and turn the layer off.  Using a separate layer makes it easy to turn them back on at any time if you need to inspect or make changes.

Also, during the above operations, you can quickly and easily select all dimension by activating a dimension tool, holding down the Shift key and then drawing a marquee around everything.  You can do the same with the Point Markers by first activating the Point Marker tool.

• Upvote 1

Step 1) Let me generate a cross section so I can dimension and accurately locate an item on a different plane from the floor plan. 

Step 2) Let me generate another static 2D view of that newly generated cross section so I can now locate that item. 

Step 3) Let me copy a cad line or point from that newly generated static 2D view of that prior generated cross section view and paste it back into the 1st generated cross section view of that plan. 

Step 4) let me measure the distance of those 2 static points I copied to see where those 3d items were drawn that I was trying locate in the first place in that cross section.  

Step 5). All is normal and fine in Chief world. 

As long as we’re all alright with all of that then I guess I’m the crazy one. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Michael_Gia said:

All is normal and fine in Chief world. 

As long as we’re all alright with all of that then I guess I’m the crazy one. 

This is where I think a little perspective shift can really help.  A person doesn't have to think the behavior is normal, fine, or alright in order to accept the current function and just move on.  I regularly send in bug reports, suggestions, and requested fixes.  In the meantime?  I do what I can do get work done using the existing tools.

38 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I do what I can do get work done using the existing tools.

All very noble of you and you also provided OP with the right solution to his problem as you often do and I appreciate that as much as anyone.

I just wish you guys in that upper clique on this forum would stop defending and do a little whining yourselves sometimes.  Always coming to the defence of Chief isn’t scoring you any brownie points with them and it just keeps them from potentially working on our grievances. 

This of course is my perception all within the four walls of my brain so I might be imagining things... like someone in Chief is actually following along and taking notes, but that’s how I see it.  

This particular problem is huge and glaring. They should be ashamed to call the program chief Architect. Where’s the architect part, I’m asking myself sometimes?  Chief Decorator, maybe?

6 minutes ago, Michael_Gia said:

I just wish you guys in that upper clique on this forum would stop defending and do a little whining yourselves sometimes.  Always coming to the defence of Chief isn’t scoring you any brownie points with them and it just keeps them from potentially working on our grievances.

The way I see it, the primary purpose of the forum here is peer to peer help.  It's not a product review forum, it's not the proper channel for reporting bugs or complaints to Chief, it's not for proper Chief Architect Technical Support, and with the exception of the Suggestion section, it's not for suggestions either.  In fact Chief may or may not read any of it.  As such, I just don't find it very productive to bash the program when people are looking for help.  Its discouraging and only further entrenches people in their frustrations, and it doesn't do any good with regard to helping them just get things done.  Plus, if you're hoping Chief is listening, then you're really barking up the wrong tree...for that you should be using the proper channels.  Please believe me when I say that I do plenty of whining.  I've probably sent it literally hundreds of bug reports, complaints, and suggestions to Tech Support that you have never read...a great MANY of which have been addressed. 

I'm just saying, don't confuse my desire to help users keep moving or my propensity to use the proper channels with being in some sort of Chief Fanboy Club.  

• Upvote 2