Why does the framing show in recessed area around window?

mgianzero

I'm hoping this is just a simple solution to something I am just overlooking here.  I was working on this house and the windows are recessed into the walls with no interior casing as shown in an earlier plan here:

1260472658_Windowwithoutframingshowing.thumb.jpg.b25e8f94c40d0b1c13685f39f9eb5669.jpg

But since then I've done loads of changes to the plans and, despite all my window settings being identical, I can now see the framing around the windows in all my rooms like here: 

46159236_Windowwithframingshowing.thumb.jpg.fc56cb147b7c043ef40e32d9830e1b25.jpg

Any idea what I did and how to correct this?

Marc G.

1 hour ago, Michael_Gia said:

You built your framing and then you moved that window over a smidgen, hence the framing poking through. 

rebuild the framing like Joey said above. 

Nope, it didn't work and I never moved that window.  As a matter of fact, it shows the framing on ALL of the windows in the house, not just that one window.

I've rebuilt the wall framing, with no success.  As a matter of fact, I have automatically build wall framing selected.

Am I doing something wrong?

Here's the plan to analyze (without referenced files due to size limits):

House with window framing showing.zip

Marc G.

1 hour ago, solver said:

You probably have a 0" thickness paint layer on the walls where there are windows.

Chief does not wrap the drywall in this condition.

Well known problem, if it is the problem, and a bit or searching the forum will tell you more.

Bingo!  That worked. 

I actually did not "paint" the walls like many CA experts told me not to do since that can cause problems.  But I didn't want the walls to have discrepancies in thickness due to a paint color change.  So I figured the best way to do this was to redefine the wall type to have an outer wall paint color of 0" thickness which now causes Chief to not wrap the drywall around the windows properly.  So I gave it a thickness of 1/16". But now my wall thicknesses are different again.

So then what is best way to change the wall colors?  Now I'm again confused about the best way to "paint" walls in CA.  Do I shrink the drywall thickness by 1/16" of an inch so that I can add a 1/16" paint layer on it?  That seems a little awkward.

4 hours ago, mgianzero said:

So then what is best way to change the wall colors?

See if this helps...

....in short though, don't be afraid to use the Material Painter.  That's what it's there for and its a super useful tool.  There are just a few areas wher it can be a little problematic.  Even then though...once you know, those situations are easily avoidable and pretty quick to fix. 

4 hours ago, mgianzero said:

So then what is best way to change the wall colors?  Now I'm again confused about the best way to "paint" walls in CA

Give the Drywall material, the same color as the paint, ( pattern Tab)  or if not using the material list , you can also just make the drywall layer 1/2" thick "Paint"

M.

On 1/27/2021 at 8:57 PM, Kbird1 said:

Give the Drywall material, the same color as the paint, ( pattern Tab)  or if not using the material list , you can also just make the drywall layer 1/2" thick "Paint"

M.

Yes, I'm getting a better gasp of things here.  I'm using the paint can for just changing wall colors - it's fast and isn't a concern since it doesn't change the wall thickness.  When I'm using a veneer such as stone or tile, I create a totally new wall type with the appropriate thickness.  If I end up changing a majority of the wall colors to the same color, then I might just change the color of the drywall like you suggested.