Count Objects

tpeck23

I would like to create several polylines that represent drywall sizes in 2d only for takeoffs.  I would like for these to be able to be counted in the material list or elsewhere if there is a macro to do this.  right now i have several cad blocks that i drop along imported tiff files for takeoffs but have to manually count these.  Thank you and i hope i posted this in the correct area. 

Software Version X12 

Eric, Yes i am importing PDF plans that are sent to us by other contractors that need takeoffs done and its quite nice actually.  I have created and added to the library cad blocks representing 8s, 10s, 12s and 15 foot drywall and just plop them on top of the pdf and then i go back and count them after.  The goal, if not silly is to create symbols or materials or slabs or whatever chief could just count for each.  Thank you for your responses.  I see you are quite helpful here as i have read through the site.  

21 minutes ago, solver said:

I took a quick look at getting something the Materials List. Unfortunately there are no totals, but they could be computed via an export to excel or other program.

Not sure what you mean when you say there are "no totals".  That top line (before you expanded your 2 lists) is the totals.

Easy to do with a Schedule.

There are all sorts of variations and options you can include. 

One of the advantages of using a schedule is that they are dynamic, whereas a Material List needs to be regenerated after every change.

Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 2.51.13 pm.jpg

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, solver said:

I was referring to a piece count, like how many of something there are. How many sheets of 4x8 5/8" OSB, for example, in addition to any other total, like sq. ft.

2 hours ago, tpeck23 said:

I would like to create several polylines that represent drywall sizes in 2d only for takeoffs.  I would like for these to be able to be counted in the material list

See if this helps you guys out at all...

• Like 1

Guys, you are all geniuses and i appreciate this immensely.  Micheal your materials list option is wonderful and maybe has put my excel tally worksheet out of business.  Thank you everyone again. I have never posted anywhere before and usually just search for months and dig as deep as possible but this was amazing help!