Need help drawing a concrete slab the way I need it.

Korel_Design

Greetings everybody.

I've been trying to figure out the settings so my Slab Foundations would come out the way I need for them to. Attached are a couple of screen shots and an example plan I quickly drawn up. First, all I want are the lines of the foundation surface only. No footing or hatching to show. Also, around the garage walls, if I use 2x6 stud wall, aka 2x6 Brick wall, I want the (what I call the "Curb") to be the same width of the stud wall above it or in this case 5 1/2". If I have a 2x4 Stud with Brick Wall then a 3 1/2" curb.

Most appreciate of any suggestions and what I need to do.

Jerry K.

garage problem.zip

4 hours ago, Korel_Design said:

First, all I want are the lines of the foundation surface only. No footing or hatching to show.

Try turning off your "Walls, Layers" layer

4 hours ago, Korel_Design said:

lso, around the garage walls, if I use 2x6 stud wall, aka 2x6 Brick wall, I want the (what I call the "Curb") to be the same width of the stud wall above it or in this case 5 1/2". If I have a 2x4 Stud with Brick Wall then a 3 1/2" curb.

You really have to control this manually by adjusting your foundation wall thickness to match your wall above (minus the interior finish layer thickness. 

Looks like Glenn already answered the footing display issue. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

You really have to control this manually by adjusting your foundation wall thickness to match your wall above (minus the interior finish layer thickness.

You can control the kerb in the garage by Foundation panel>Build Foundation>Stem Walls>Edit Garage Kerb.

In this case I think it was about 10". 

2 hours ago, glennw said:

You can control the kerb in the garage by Foundation panel>Build Foundation>Stem Walls>Edit Garage Kerb.

In this case I think it was about 10". 

Potato Tomato

....but yes.  You are correct.  You can do the same thing there as well.  That particular setting just changes the wall width and vice versa. 

Hey Guys! A lot of great progress. If I ever run into you at a CA event remind me I owe you an Adult Beverage. Thank you!

There are still a few minor issues. When I Turn Off the "Walls, Layers" I lose the hatching on the Floor Plan. Is there a workaround for this?

More importantly, the line that depicts the drop in the slab from the house floor is in the wrong location. See Screen Shots. How can we adjust it so the line shows where I have it drawn in red?

Jerry K.

Annotation 2021-01-27 104936.jpg

Annotation 2021-01-27 104715.jpg

garage problem.plan

7 minutes ago, Korel_Design said:

There are still a few minor issues. When I Turn Off the "Walls, Layers" I lose the hatching on the Floor Plan

Make a Copy of you Working Plan SVP and Layerset and turn them into a dedicated Foundation Saved Plan View  (SPV) ,

it sounds like you are using the same Layerset for both now ( the Working Layerset ) , so when you go back to level one, it is off there too.

image.thumb.png.beae1e7b340ab6abfd745afe45295f3e.png

Good Question. Most of the time the perimeter wall around the Garage is 2x4, then the "Curb" would be 3 1/2". Sometimes the perimeter wall around the Garage is 2x6, especially when we have several floors above or I have plumbing coming down those walls, then the Curb would be 5 1/2". 

4 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Can you explain how this would ensure that the curb thickness aligns with the wall above without having to set the wall thickness?

Michael,

I don't understand your question.

I do set the curb thickness - in Edit Garage Curb.The thickness of the curb is from outside face of the slab.

The easiest way to get rid of the wall hatching is to delete the Fill from the wall definition.  

Actually by Kbird1's post, I was able to create and save a "Saved Plan View" that took care of the hatching and shading and footing issue. My only issue now is getting the step from the house to garage to locate in the correct place. It's a work around but defeats the Auto-Rebuild function. I clicked on the foundation wall between the house and garage. Broke (#3 on keyboard) the wall right at the spot where the rear garage wall and the front garage wall met it. Then clicked on the remaining section and moved it to the left 5 1/2" so the line was in the correct location. But I really don't like doing it that way for every time I need to rebuild the foundation, I have to delete what I have and do all this over again. Tomorrow I just might forward this to the Code Wizards at CA and I'm sure they will have the answer.

Annotation 2021-01-27 104715.jpg

1 hour ago, glennw said:

Michael,

I don't understand your question.

This whole exchange was based on aligning the inside of the curb with insode of the wall framing above.  I said you had to adjust the wall thickness and then you came back and suggested adjusting the Curb.  I pointed out that the 2 settings are doing the same thing.  Then you suggested that you wouldn't need to edit the wall at all because you have Auto Rebuild turned on.  My point was that the foundation wall/curb thickness needs to be edited one way or another if you want it to align with the thickness of the wall above.  Whether you have Auto Rebuild toggled on is beside the point.

I was hoping for some more insight on the line between the Garage and the House and to get it to automatically locate in the correct location. Actually, if I take the camera tool and snap a photo of that wall, the resulting image has the drop in the slab at the correct location. But, on my foundation plan it is not in the correct location. If only I could explode the foundation drawing then edit it using CAD lines that would work. Call me nuts, but I made a layer called "CAD, White Out" that has a color of White and a line thickness of 55. I actually White Out the unwanted lines then redraw them with "CAD, Foundation". Right now . . . . Whatever Works.

1 hour ago, Korel_Design said:

I was hoping for some more insight on the line between the Garage and the House and to get it to automatically locate in the correct location. Actually, if I take the camera tool and snap a photo of that wall, the resulting image has the drop in the slab at the correct location. But, on my foundation plan it is not in the correct location. If only I could explode the foundation drawing then edit it using CAD lines that would work. Call me nuts, but I made a layer called "CAD, White Out" that has a color of White and a line thickness of 55. I actually White Out the unwanted lines then redraw them with "CAD, Foundation". Right now . . . . Whatever Works.

No " insight " from me but you can do a CAD Detail From View , and Edit and send it to layout instead of the "Live" view of the 3D model

Mick.

4 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I don't understand this comment.  Using the last plan you posted, the line location matches exactly...

not sure you have the same plan as me ? or maybe I misunderstand something but I think he is talking about the drop in floor heights between the house and garage , ie the RED line he drew..... so it lines up with the Interior 2x4 wall.

image.thumb.png.5e8d45613309730d467121dbc26800ad.pngimage.thumb.png.aba6d2af78fc4763673bb4136d577ee0.png image.thumb.png.9ae1141bdd5455e668f3e15d1e54f9e7.png

A room divider seems to work but not 100% Auto. ( turn off display of invisible walls (pic2) and curb is back too.

image.thumb.png.edaebe5f76251690aa2c32f3cf7992e2.pngimage.thumb.png.332abf625a8d052ed04a2343f15738bd.pngimage.thumb.png.de29529e0e90cde1e7e99a2f4ba579b2.png

16 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

A room divider seems to work but not 100% Auto. ( turn off display of invisible walls (pic2) and curb is back too.

You can also break the foundation wall and just move that center section back.  I'm a little confused though because in the example plan posted, the plan view line matches the 3D.